Fish that prefer rockscape or minimally planted tanks

I’m looking at setting up a tank for my partner and want to do something with minimal maintenance. He was really drawn to the look of saltwater tanks and I’m wondering if I might be able to replicate the feel and look of one with the right rockscape.  

I’ve got a 20g long that I’ll use which I think gives me lots of stocking options, but I’m not certain which fish would be right for something like this. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated! Even if it’s to say this isn’t doable or might be a terrible idea. 😆 

On 6/3/2022 at 10:47 AM, SpacedCadette said:

I’m looking at setting up a tank for my partner and want to do something with minimal maintenance. He was really drawn to the look of saltwater tanks and I’m wondering if I might be able to replicate the feel and look of one with the right rockscape.

As far as scape, I think this works really well for the situation you're describing. I would not run substrate to make it easier to clean.

In a 20L aquarium you could have two stacks like this and then add what plants you would like.  I would suggest Anubias Nana Petite and some mosses.  I wouldn't really worry about anything more than that because it's going to make care more difficult than you really need it to be. 

As far as fish, I think a lot of nano species would work. A Chili Rasbora might be a really nice contrast against the dark rocks. Neon Green Rasboras, Neon Tetras, White Clouds, etc.

If they are enjoying the tank, at that point, I would add some corydoras. Even without substrate, they would do fine.  I have a tank with them setup now without substrate (until we decide what to buy) and they are LOVING IT.  I walked in to 20 of them swarming around the tank like a herd of nano fish.  They are like little whales, I love it!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 10:50 AM, eatyourpeas said:

You may want to check @OnlyGenusCaps journal entry for the Pseudo Saltwater Tank. He did a great job at making it look marine.

Oooh! This is great. Thank you for sharing it!

On 6/3/2022 at 1:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

In a 20L aquarium you could have two stacks like this and then add what plants you would like.  I would suggest Anubias Nana Petite and some mosses.  I wouldn't really worry about anything more than that because it's going to make care more difficult than you really need it to be. 

As far as fish, I think a lot of nano species would work. A Chili Rasbora might be a really nice contrast against the dark rocks. Neon Green Rasboras, Neon Tetras, White Clouds, etc.

Great point about the Anubias. I think that’ll be the perfect plant. Also love the stocking suggestions, the chili Rasboras in particular would be neat! 

I’ll definitely keep in mind your suggestion about substrate. I hadn’t even considered omitting it, but now you’ve got me thinking. 🤔

Thanks for all the thoughtful suggestions!

• Like 1

Most of my tanks are rocks and few to no plants.  I like SW tanks, but not the work, so I scape many of mine to give a SW look to them.  It's nice to hear someone else is thinking along those lines too!  Not sure why more folks don't do this.  If you have any questions about my experience, feel free to ask.