Quick introduction

Hi All.  I am happy to join this community.  We have 2 established tanks. A 5 gallon beta tank a 10 gallon community tank and we just started our new 75 gallon dry start planted tank that the kids picked Angel Fish as the showcase.    We are curious for tank mates suggestions as we want a diverse tank to build a healthy tank. 

4E3962D1-1A8F-47E0-84A9-969521DDB33E.jpeg

8E0CE6E1-69CF-47EB-99BB-79038AB76296.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Well we know your plants will have enough light😁 

I think you’ll want a clean up crew. For me that always seems to be Otocinclus, Corydoras and some Amano shrimp.
Some medium sized tetras would be nice. Serpae or Red phantoms look nice. Harlequin Rasboras are another one that I like. Cherry barbs are often overlooked but they are stunning, especially the males. 

Talk to the kids about live bearers. Having baby Swordtails or Guppies is pretty awesome but might not work with predatory Angelfish. Personally I think Swordtails are the perfect size to be a centerpiece in a 75g. For my own tank I chose them over Angels. 

Oh and you’ll definitely want co2 with those Kessils! 

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 10:48 AM, Patrick_G said:

Serpae or Red phantoms look nice. Harlequin Rasboras are another one that I like. Cherry barbs are often overlooked but they are stunning, especially the males

Agreed, cherry barbs would be good take mates, serpae would really add a uniqueness

• Like 2

Thanks for the ideas.  For the bottom/algae crew  i am familiar with corys, gobys, amano shrimp (large one) and some snails.  I dont want to miss out on some other fun fish as the more variety the better and as my skills improve i welcome the challenges.  My daughter wants to get younger angel fish so we can watch them grow and allow for other tank mates to grow to be large enough to avoid becoming food.   All 3 kids want to pick 2 of them for a total of 6 is the intiial plan but stocking appropriately for a healthy tank is more important.  Weve learned some valuable lessons about tank management from getting the one betta in a 5 gallon tank to the 10 gallon and now the just dry launched 75 gallon.   The one that is the best for my logic is  to move slowly and think it out before as managing a tank is a hell of a lot more involved than i assumed 3 months ago 🙂   Thankfully my gear acquistion syndrome from other hobbies has prepared me for this...  I do have the co2 ready to go when the tank gets flooded