What's Happening?

Cinnebuns

On 6/3/2022 at 2:21 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I'm embarrassed to say I'm not entirely sure where I could get info about Dean's method.

All good!

On the ACO youtube channel you have about 10+ "master breeder" videos.  I usually search for that and go through the list. The oldest one is going to have the most detail I think.  Then every time Cory re-visits, you might get another tidbit.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:33 PM, Cinnebuns said:

This makes me sad and confused about my next step cause the only reason I got ramshorn snails was to keep in the guppy fry tank. Sigh. 

I mean, that's like a david vs. goliath situation.  I wouldn't imagine the little guppy is going to really take down that snail and if the snail was having issues, it would just hide right?

What stood out to me was the decor piece the snail is on.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:38 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I mean, that's like a david vs. goliath situation.  I wouldn't imagine the little guppy is going to really take down that snail and if the snail was having issues, it would just hide right?

What stood out to me was the decor piece the snail is on.

That decor piece was literally just added yesterday per previous conversation. What worries me about the guppy is there is lots in there and maybe they are all doing this constantly. The snail doesn't seem to be hiding from it right now tbh

On 6/4/2022 at 10:55 PM, Cinnebuns said:

That decor piece was literally just added yesterday per previous conversation. What worries me about the guppy is there is lots in there and maybe they are all doing this constantly. The snail doesn't seem to be hiding from it right now tbh

Is the little guppy hungry then? Or is that just boredom / sight breaks?

I mean, sharks test things with their mouths too, hmm.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:56 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Is the little guppy hungry then? Or is that just boredom / sight breaks?

I mean, sharks test things with their mouths too, hmm.

I feed them 3x a day sometimes more. So I doubt hunger although idk

On 6/4/2022 at 10:57 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I feed them 3x a day sometimes more. So I doubt hunger although idk

10G. Sorry, I was reviewing all the photos to try to see what on earth.  I would try to centralize the air location to the middle / back wall just to balance flow. It won't make a huge difference.

Ok so, it's not food, unlikely to be chemical, and we think water KH/GH/PH is "fine"?

What do the snails eat with calcium in it? (I am by no means knowledgeable about snails)

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 6/5/2022 at 1:00 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

10G. Sorry, I was reviewing all the photos to try to see what on earth.  I would try to centralize the air location to the middle / back wall just to balance flow. It won't make a huge difference.

Ok so, it's not food, unlikely to be chemical, and we think water KH/GH/PH is "fine"?

What do the snails eat with calcium in it? (I am by no means knowledgeable about snails)

KH, GH, and PH is more than fine and almost to the point of too good on the other end lol. My tap is 8.0-8.2 PH and a frightening high 19 GH. 

I will admit I do not feed them as much calcium as I do my main tank snails. It may be something to explore. I have not noticed any shell damage but that doesn't mean it's not effecting them. I can try to be more consistent with that. 

I think the hikari crab cuisine is the go to.  I'm right there with you, my amano's don't really care how much they get via food.  I've never had issues and when I do try to target feed them, they just.... would rather eat everything than anything specific.  I am probably going to need to be more consistent, once a week or something, to give them some calcium.

As long as KH isn't causing issues, PH doesn't crash after 24 hours of Aeration, your PH is above 7.2 or so, you should be "fine".  I would simply add more things, even pleco caves, mopani or ghostwood, driftwood, etc.

More surfaces. Maybe one of the co-op planters with some vallisnaria or Anubias or Java Fern? Something with broad leaves the snails can "entertain themselves on".

Keep an eye on pecking, especially on non-feeding hours, and then you'll have to catch them in the act so to speak.

If you can, keep a log of water testing, deaths, anything you're seeing, and then hopefully something sticks out the next few weeks.

On 6/5/2022 at 1:14 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I think the hikari crab cuisine is the go to. 

That's exactly what I give them in addition to green beans and blanched veggies. 

On 6/5/2022 at 1:14 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Maybe one of the co-op planters

I literally have one that I recently took out of my main tank so good idea. 

• Love 1