finally used cupramine

sk_s

wow! i have been struggling with little tiny hugely annoying snails for a long time. I have at least a million in my ten gallon tank.I was scared off using cupramine, but it was the last straw with those snails attached all over the aquarium glass, looked like the tank had the measels. Anyhow finally used it, and within 15 minutes they were GONE! I know they are still in the substrate but that doesn't bother me. I just don't want to look at them. fish are fine. sorry it took me so long to use it. I underdosed a little, I wont use dechlorinater for a couple of days. I dont have real plants because i kill the real ones. But I recommend using it . worked quickly. no bad effects

On 5/17/2022 at 11:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

How are you planning to remove the copper from the tank now?  Carbon or another method?

i have a bunch of medical bills right now,so i am going for the cheap version..  im waiting three days and then doing water change. if i use cuprasorb then i also have to get muriatic acid, so i am just using carbon. this tank is being used as an experiment. I have more fish then I can handle because they wont stop breeding. so  as long as I don"t mix it with the sodium thiosulfate in api stress coat I should be ok. so far so good. still no visible snails. I will still have to redose on occasion because of the snail eggs, but anyway thats the plan. if all goes well I will do the same with my other tank. so far happy with the cupramine.

On 5/19/2022 at 5:34 PM, sk_s said:

im waiting three days and then doing water change. if i use cuprasorb then i also have to get muriatic acid, so i am just using carbon.

I had a bad snail infestation and then felt like I was going to lose hardscape as a result because I couldn't get them out. I did a bunch of research, considered the risk, and was going to dose it. Then I realized I can't because of the high risk to the amanos if I can't get it out.

Interested to see how it goes for you, I wish you the best.

I tend to over clean my tanks, so probably wont be getting shrimp. anyway its too small a tank at 10 gallons. only live stuff are fish,so its the perfect tank for using cupramine. there were literally thousands of those damn snails in there, never would a plastic trap have made a dent in  a population that large. I don't like loaches or catfish,and they end up dying because there is not enough food for them. I have a fish overpopulation problem because they keep breeding. And some of the fish are 3-4 years old, so nobody ever dies.  I have been using clove oil to euthanize them because I can"t donate them. I feel bad about doing it but I don"t know of another solution. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 8:08 PM, sk_s said:

so its the perfect tank for using cupramine. there were literally thousands of those damn snails in there, never would a plastic trap have made a dent in  a population that large. I don't like loaches or catfish,and they end up dying because there is not enough food for them.

That's terrible.  When I had this happen, I took the tank I had and literally just replaced everything. I felt so defeated having to do that, but sometimes the snails are just that insane.

I am glad it worked out for you. I am glad you're able to start changing the load on the tank and hopefully that makes things even easier for you.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:08 PM, sk_s said:

I don't like loaches or catfish,and they end up dying because there is not enough food for them. I have a fish overpopulation problem because they keep breeding. And some of the fish are 3-4 years old, so nobody ever dies.  I have been using clove oil to euthanize them because I can"t donate them. I feel bad about doing it but I don"t know of another solution. 

Is there any way to remove the males and females to different tanks or even have a divider so they don't breed?  What kind of fish are you keeping?

you are right. the only other solution for snails is the one you took. I might have to do that as well.  I can"t figure out who is breeding anymore, there are so many of them.  I  curious about something, though. And it"s off topic. But I was wondering how people treat tb now. I had a problem years ago, losing one fish every week or so. no sign of ich, clamped fins or any other problem. I lost a breeding pair of angelfish, and that got me mad. Come hell or high water I was going to figure out why they were dying. Not much on line about it,so I went to the library and took out every book on fish disease I could find.  After much very dry reading, I figured out it was picine tuberculosis. back then pet stores sold isoniazid. this med is still used on people in some parts of the world. anyway, tb is transferred through cannibalism,not through the water. the med was expensive, so after a while I watched the fish more closely. At the first sign of a problem the got the fish the hey out of the tank, and the cycle of death stopped. So, what is the standard treatment for tb now? Do they still sell a medication for it, or do people just use quarantine as the standard treatment. I"m curious to know.