Controlling Dwarf Hair Grass Runners

Runner species IME take either a lot of upkeep to prevent them from making a mixed carpet, or you will need to put in a substrate barrier (some use plastic strips hidden in the substrate) to prevent creep. You'll need to keep an eye out for when runners pop, trim them back and go from there. Not sure if you can 'train' the growth, but someone might have more input on this.

On 5/13/2022 at 9:21 AM, Master Photographer said:

I'm just wondering what the best way to control the spread of Dwarf Hair Grass? I'm looking at using it to edge my Dwarf Baby Tears, in my aquascape.

Light and root tabs.

You'll want to force the plant to grow tall vs. wide.  (bentley has a few videos on this topic, I believe you can find one in his video about lighting spectrum or his society talk he did recently).  You can also emphasize the red spectrum on your light.

As mentioned above, you'll want to keep the tabs where you want the plant to be, and reposition runners when you find them where you don't want it to be.  You can also use rocks to stop the plant from "escaping" to other areas if you want to try that out too.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1