White stringy poop in apistogramma

Mattlikesfish36

My apistogramma has had long stringy white poop for a few weeks now. Initially he was lethargic and not eating so I treated with API General Cure about a week and a half ago. After treatment, he started eating and acting like himself again, but he still has the long stringy poop. Should I be concerned if he is acting normal but still has the stringy discharge? I have been doing water changes and nitrates are never above 20. All other water parameters are stable and I’m on top of tank maintenance 

023CB926-E9BC-43CD-85B8-849EEA87A7CD.jpeg

15AB4D6D-04A5-49E0-9FF4-45DBEE7DFB0E.jpeg

It can take 2-3 course of general cure 2 weeks apart to deal the types of parasites it treats if you only done the one course then I follow that up with another course and monitor him closely to make sure he eating and behaving normally and your not seeing any rapid breathing hanging near the surface sunken belly

On 5/11/2022 at 9:18 PM, Colu said:

It can take 2-3 course of general cure 2 weeks apart to deal the types of parasites it treats if you only done the one course then I follow that up with another course and monitor him closely to make sure he eating and behaving normally and your not seeing any rapid breathing hanging near the surface sunken belly

@Coluthanks for the info! I didn’t realize that you can give multiple courses of the medication so I’ll give that a shot and see how it goes 

On 5/12/2022 at 2:27 AM, Mattlikesfish36 said:

@Coluthanks for the info! I didn’t realize that you can give multiple courses of the medication so I’ll give that a shot and see how it goes 

You repeat the treatment every two to kill any parasites that have hatched between treatments

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 9:33 PM, Colu said:

You repeat the treatment every two to kill any parasites that have hatched between treatments

@Colui repeated the treatment and waited a week to see if there was any change. There is still white stringy poop and he hangs out on the bottom of the tank by the heater quite a bit but seems to be eating somewhat normally. Should I give a third treatment? 

On 5/23/2022 at 3:06 AM, Mattlikesfish36 said:

@Colui repeated the treatment and waited a week to see if there was any change. There is still white stringy poop and he hangs out on the bottom of the tank by the heater quite a bit but seems to be eating somewhat normally. Should I give a third treatment? 

It can take three courses of treatment 2 weeks apart a I would do another course 2 weeks from the last treatment

On 5/23/2022 at 6:35 AM, Colu said:

It can take three courses of treatment 2 weeks apart a I would do another course 2 weeks from the last treatment

@Coluthanks for the reply, I’ll give that a shot. It’s strange because every other fish in the aquarium seems fine but for some reason he isn’t looking back to 100%

Hmmmmm. I'm not sure if I'd totally call that white stringy poop. It's white, sure, but when I noticed white 'stringy' poop from my very sick pseudomugils, it would be accompanied by cottony white, stringy discharge and very little digested matter.

Since the fish is acting a little off, I'd monitor after your last dose and ensure he is eating. Whatever it is doesn't seem to be contagious yet. Are all of his poops consistently white, or is it intermittent?

Other things you can try is straight-up prazipro (praziquantel) or another dewormer mixed in food, since he is eating again.