Platties Destroyed Bladder Snail Population

ReeseADHD

I had my main display tank up and running with just mystery snails & shrimp for a while and I was starting to have a population boom of bladder snails. The glass of my aquarium was literally peppered with tiny snails everywhere. I was contemplating buying a group dwarf chain loaches to get rid of the snails but I couldn't because my quarantine tank was already housing platties and corydoras. The time came for me to finally add the fish from my qt tank to the main display. The day after I added them I decided to visit my mom so I was gone for two days. When I returned there were roughly only 10 bladder snails remaining. Previously there was easily over 100 or so bladder snails and there were four clutches of bladder snail eggs on the underside of the heater. They were all gone! I suspect the platties are the ones that rid the snails because I recently seen a platty try to eat one but it was a bit too big to go in its mouth. Am I the only one that didn't know you could use platties to control bladder snail populations?

For context:

All the bladder snails were babies and I have 6 platties in my 44g display. I doubt they would eat full size adult bladder snails because they don't bother my pet snails. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 12:04 PM, Guppysnail said:

They even play tug of war when one finds one a touch to big but tries anyway..  The teeny tiny new hatched ones my panda Cory scarf up.

I almost hope I have another population boom so I can witness this behavior 😬 

• Haha 1