What did I do?

Cinnebuns

On 5/31/2022 at 8:19 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Another clutch this morning. This would be clutch 3. This one I froze. The first clutch was tiny; smaller than a marble. The other was the size of a AA battery. Those 2 I will hatch.

I gave the snail a calcium chip for her efforts. 🙂

40001A24-EE81-497C-9BEE-F4A74DFF0B95.jpeg

You should start your own journal on this from egg start to growing out. So many folks have questions about hatching and raising. It would benefit many and well…I love to see others enjoy the journey.  Even if they do not hatch this time it’s such a learning experience sharing your adventures would benefit so many. I would definitely be a follower of the journey. 

@Guppysnail That's a great idea!  

I have been keeping my water level 1" below the top of the tank because the nerite likes to chill out up there, and it keeps him out of the filter. Suppose I filled the tank. Do you think the mystery snail would stop laying eggs, or do you think she would try to climb onto the bottom of the lid instead?

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 9:46 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Guppysnail That's a great idea!  

I have been keeping my water level 1" below the top of the tank because the nerite likes to chill out up there, and it keeps him out of the filter. Suppose I filled the tank. Do you think the mystery snail would stop laying eggs, or do you think she would try to climb onto the bottom of the lid instead?

Mine lay them on the lid if the water is to high. It also encourages mine to try and escape to find a place to lay. I have found clutches on pothos leaves touching the water. Tag me when you start your journal so I can follow please. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 10:38 AM, Guppysnail said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeaOh I forgot the breeder box. I don’t use them I put them directly into the 10g. If you use one do the flow through type bare bottom airstone if not flow through and plants.  but the babies will escape quickly and easily that’s why I don’t use them for mystery snails. 

My first clutch i put directly into a 10 gallon and they all died.  I do think the biggest reason they died is because I got covid and didn't drop food in for 3 days but there still was some of the clutch left so I'm not entirely sure that was it. Wouldn't they finish eating the clutch first?  This time around I'm also throwing in first bites. I noticed they aren't touching the algae wafer I drop in so idk. 

I have been getting 2-3 clutches a week. I hatched 1 less than a week ago. This time I put it in a fluval large hang on breeder box attached to a uninhabited 20 gal. I have a 2nd clutch ready to hatch within the week. 

I have the hatching them down great as I've hatched a ton already but I haven't yet raised any. Other than the 1 clutch that died in the 10 gallon, I've given the other clutches right before they hatch to friends. 

On 5/31/2022 at 11:11 PM, Cinnebuns said:

This time around I'm also throwing in first bites

I do this and break apart the wafers. I love using extreme nano pellets and omega one (not the wafers but the little round balls I can’t think of the name right now). My assumptions from watching behaviors is when the are young they work off instinct vs learning wafers are the food because they will cruiseabout munch and come to the wafer but not stay on it long the way adults do.  They seem to keep cruising in search of small foods. I’m guessing in the wild there is seldom a large deposit of food in one place and getting enough food to grow and thrive requires movement. I also think because they are small the energy expended to get from one side of a 10g to the wafer on the other side is not replaced by how much of the wafer they eat. 
I hope what I visualize in my head about this is understandable in written form.  Sometimes it’s awkward putting my imaginings into words.