Over stocked?

Zodiak246

This is a very loaded question. If you're using an online calculator the answer would inveritably be yes. (because mine would all but 1 be overstocked according to it). 

The question to me is: Are the fish able to move about freely and are healthy without disease and brilliantly (for them) colored and everyone getting along (any signs of aggression that is sometimes a sign of overcrowding)? Are the plants happy and growing? Do I have any regular or persistent water parameter issues that would cause either or both of the other things issues (consistently tests 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and a healthy ammount of Nitrate)? Is the maintenance of this (possibly overstocked) tank too much for me to handle or would it quickly go south if it had no maintenance for a day or two?

If the answers are all to the postive then, no, your tank is not overstocked. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
1 more thing.
  • Like 6

I don’t know.  Those are all small animals with small body mass and a lot of plants.  So, I think it all depends on you.  Your skill set, your dedication and your maintenance schedule.  
Good Luck 

• Like 1

I think shrimp are quite sensitive to water conditions, so if this tank is mature and they've been thriving for a while I would take that as an indicator that you tank is fine and in a good spot. I don't know what kind of filter you have, but I always think adding a sponge filter can help with "overstocking" to add aeration and more biological filtration. I have a fairly overstocked tank, but it's very mature with no fluctuations and everyone's very happy. It has 2 sponge filters, lots of live plants and lucky bamboo and pothos roots for added help. All of these things combined with weekly water changes help this tank to be stable and happy. Just some ideas for you in the future 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 6:38 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

This is a very loaded question. If you're using an online calculator the answer would inveritably be yes. (because mine would all but 1 be overstocked according to it). 

The question to me is: Are the fish able to move about freely and are healthy without disease and brilliantly (for them) colored and everyone getting along (any signs of aggression that is sometimes a sign of overcrowding)? Are the plants happy and growing? Do I have any regular or persistent water parameter issues that would cause either or both of the other things issues (consistently tests 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and a healthy ammount of Nitrate)? Is the maintenance of this (possibly overstocked) tank too much for me to handle or would it quickly go south if it had no maintenance for a day or two?

If the answers are all to the postive then, no, your tank is not overstocked. 

This is the best answer I have read on any forum. There are so many variables that come into play that there is no black or white answer. Thanks for spelling out what so many of us are thinking but can't explain it so clearly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1