Betta fish enquiry

SC Fish

After watching "MD fish tanks" latest video ,  ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3uQXzXSPspf2LoGdtYGiHw )

im curious, i have 4 male endler guppys, which will eventually be moved into a 10 gallon.. 

will a betta fish (or fighter fish) be happy in a 10 gallon (heated: 25 degrees) with 4 male endler guppys as tank mates? 

the tank will be heated and will be planted. 

I understand it will be hit or miss with the betta fish, as some betta fish don't like tank mates, and some do.. so please let me know !

Edited by SC Fish
spelling
  • Like 1

From what I've learned about Betta fish I wouldn't keep a Betta in anything less than 80f degree water- which is fine for Endlers. I would also add IAL for the tannins. Bettas need high humidity and higher temps to give them the best chance of longevity, the IAL tannins will be naturally antibacterial- Bettas are very prone to illness (unless you're going for wild types which are not likely to be overbred). That being said, it is possible and since the Endlers are already there they have a better chance of the Betta not being territorial- of course as you seem to already know- every Betta has a different personality so it's always a gamble- even if you went with a female. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

@xXInkedPhoenixX

80f in c is 26 degrees which is very easily done! 

i can do the IAL tannins for the antibacterial part.

and from what you are saying , would females be calmer? and also if i maybe added 2 or 3 more endler guppies would that help??

Edited by SC Fish

Perfect. 

Not necessarily calmer no, but there are some beautiful female specimens nowadays- some say you have a lesser chance of aggression. Adding more Endlers would likely help because if you were to get an aggressive Betta I've seen having more "targets" makes them less likely to chase anyone in particular. I'd add the Endlers first. Then later when you add the Betta I'd float them in a breeder box for a few hours for an "introduction" it will help all settle in better and give you an idea of what to expect when they're released. 

Shorter finned specimens too, have less trouble with fin rot I've noticed- but since it's a bacterial infection having the IAL should help avoid that.

I always advise a backup plan when working with other fish and Bettas since it really does come down to temperament. I've seen Bettas so relaxed they sleep on top of mystery snails and make friends with other fish, and I've seen Bettas that can't even have bladder snails in their tank as they are constantly stressed, which causes illness.

You've got some good advise about adding and establishing any other fish first, before the Betta, and floating him/her in a mesh breeder box, but still have a backup plan no matter what.

It depends on your endlers and betta. I had a very nice male that I kept in a 10gallon with 5 male endlers. A couple of them would harass the betta and nip his tail. I had to move him to his own tank. I've then tried a female betta in the same situation and she chased those boys around constantly. I had to move her to a separate tank as well. I have successfully kept bettas in community tanks, so it just depends on the fish. I do find it easier in a 20 long - I think everyone has more space/territories.

• Like 1