Noooo! "green fungus" / Cladogonium in my shrimp tank

dangerflower

Ugh. My cursed 10 gallon continues to be cursed (I've posted about plant deficiencies and a columnaris scare in this same tank...it has been weirdly unbalanced and full of problems the whole time I've had it). I just noticed bright green nastiness on the undercarriage of one of my neocaridinia shrimp. I know what it is - "green fungus" or Cladogonium ogishimae (or Ellobiopsidae but what I'm getting from googling is that that name is incorrect?). I also know that it's nasty. This is a newish shrimp, part of a mixed color pack of neos I ordered online. I was irresponsible and didn't quarantine before mixing them with my other shrimp, but it's been long enough now that I don't think I would have caught this in quarantine anyway. I don't see any signs of infection on any other shrimp in the tank so far. 

I've been reading about treatment and it sounds tricky. I've removed the infected shrimp, and I'm probably going to cull it and watch the tank closely for any further signs of infection 😕. There are two berried females in there right now so this is really a bummer. From what I'm reading it doesn't sound like there's a way to treat the whole tank to get rid of this. I'm curious if any folks on here have dealt with this and have any advice.

Also, what is standard practice for euthanizing a shrimp? Does the clove oil method work on them? 

Edited by dangerflower
Took vendor name out of post, I don't really think they're at fault

I've ran into this once and only once from another vendor. What I ended up doing was QTing the shrimp that came in with the fungus and attempting to treat it outside of the tank the colony was being setup in. I didn't have luck, and my attempts were using Ruby Reef Rally. The best thing you can do is attempt treatments in a QT, but at the worst expect this to be a cull. As for euthenizing, I don't do anything specific for this as 99% of my culls are rehomed to a cull tank. Sick/injured shrimp that are getting culled end up going in a QT tank and attempts for treatments are tested there.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 10:32 PM, Colu said:

If I remember rightly salt baths can treat this but it's not always effective

That's what I heard as well. Now that you say that it reminded me that I added AQ salt to the ruby reef dips I was doing and that didn't do anything for my case. 

On 5/3/2022 at 7:32 PM, Colu said:

If I remember rightly salt baths can treat this but it's not always effective

I was thinking of trying salt baths. The treatment I've been seeing recommended the most as I've been researching this appears to be malachite green (which is what's in Ick X, if I'm not mistaken?) mixed into food. Ingestion seems to be important for treatment because it sounds like this organism gets pretty deeply into the shrimp's tissues. But it doesn't sound like the treatment is always effective 😕

I'm wondering about the idea of treating the whole tank by feeding medicated food? I know Ick X is relatively safe since it's part of the quarantine trio, but I don't know how effective it would be to do this. This infection apparently isn't visible until it's progressed very far so I'm definitely paranoid that it's lurking in other shrimp in the tank.