Possible tank idea with pearl gouramis and rams

Good Morning, 

So after doing a deep dive on the internet I think I found my next tank idea but I cannot determine if it will work. My idea is to do the following species  but I am not sure on genders or if it will even work. From the research I have done, I know the following would be fine with my ph but the gh concerns me but couldn't find consistent information on whether or not it would work. Please include ANY and all suggestions and comments. I know the aggression with the rams and gourami could be an issue but again I would welcome all suggestions, comments, substitutions.

Bolivian Rams (2-3 females?)

Electric Blue Rams (2-3 females?)

Pearl Gourami (1-3 females?)

Peacock gudgeon (1 male 2 females? all females?)

Threadfin/featherfin Rainbow Fish (Iriatherina werneri) (group of 6-7 mixed gender?)

My tap water:

PH about 7

GH 300 (on the Aquarium Coop test strips basically its at the highest number )

KH 40 (on the Aquarium Coop test strips basically its at the lowest number)

The tank:

40 Gal planted with black sand and 2 sponge filters

Currently has:

-4 Kuli loaches

-9 Blue Kerri tetra

-1 Bristle nose pleco 

If you made it this far, thank you I know this is long but wanted to give all relevant information so that I can properly care  for them and set myself up for success. 

On 5/2/2022 at 10:51 AM, Tihshho said:

Any reason you're looking at just females for the Cichlids and Gouramis? Generally the females are the ones with less color. 

I am not sure. I wasn't sure if the aggression would be too much if I mixed genders. The genders I mentioned are just my thoughts, I am open to all males or mixing. I don't mind if they breed but I don't want utter chaos with them protecting fry (I read this was an issue with rams). 

Edited by peaceteacher

probably not everything and the counts would be based on what is best for each fish and I would adjust accordingly but wanted to see if the combo would would so if I eventually had the space (I would love to have a larger tank for my classroom).

My tank is a 40 breeder and I think its 36 in long

Edited by peaceteacher

IMO going with the TF Rainbows would be the best bet or going with the Peacock Gudgeons.

Pearl Gourami's IME have never been aggressive, but I've heard of nightmarish experiences from others in the past so YMMV. In terms of females, they are very bland for color. So if you're looking for an addition of color they won't be helping that case. In terms of the cichlids, you see the best coloration and activity when having both males and females in the tank. That said, then you're dealing with their pecking order, protecting terrories as well as rearing fry. German ram varients should be kept in warmer tanks for the best success. Bolivians definitely have a more peaceful demeanor when spawning, but remember they still have cichlid tendancies.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:56 AM, peaceteacher said:

I am not sure. I wasn't sure if the aggression would be too much if I mixed genders. The genders I mentioned are just my thoughts, I am open to all males or mixing. I don't mind if they breed but I don't want utter chaos with them protecting fry (I read this was an issue with rams). 

I have 12 pearl gouramis in the same tank, with close to half males.  At one time I had 14, but I heard a bunch of splashing one night a few months ago and haven't been able to count more than 12 at any one time since then so I assume there was some kind of drama, though I never found a body.

In any case, I feel confident you wouldn't have any problems with a group of mixed sexes as long as the females outnumber the males by at least a 2:1 margin.

On 5/2/2022 at 11:16 AM, Tihshho said:

IMO going with the TF Rainbows would be the best bet or going with the Peacock Gudgeons.

Pearl Gourami's IME have never been aggressive, but I've heard of nightmarish experiences from others in the past so YMMV. In terms of females, they are very bland for color. So if you're looking for an addition of color they won't be helping that case. In terms of the cichlids, you see the best coloration and activity when having both males and females in the tank. That said, then you're dealing with their pecking order, protecting terrories as well as rearing fry. German ram varients should be kept in warmer tanks for the best success. Bolivians definitely have a more peaceful demeanor when spawning, but remember they still have cichlid tendancies.

So I could mix the pearls, TF rainbows and EB rams or Bolivans? From the research I did, it seemed like the pearls and rainbows are fine with 80.  I had considered having one EB Acara intsead of the rams but I have heard they can be super sweet or a nightmare.

If it were me, with the stocking, my recommendation would solely be adding the TF rainbows and/or the Peacock Gudgeons. I wouldn't be adding either Rams or they Pearl Gouramis. @JettsPapa has more experience with the Pearls, so I would look at his response for weighing out if you'd like to add the Pearl Gourami's or not. 

For the Rams, make sure your water temperature is at least 80F. They can survive lower temps, but tend to become discolored and unhappy.

I do keep Pearl Gourami with Bolivian Rams. The Gouramis might act tough if the Rams are young, but the Rams will be the real bosses of the tank as they get larger. Generally they get along well as the Pearls will habitat the top of the tank and Rams will stay closer to the bottom.

Plan a layout that breaks line of sight using structure and plants in case there are hostilities. It's probably a good idea to have a backup tank in case things go bad. If it does turn into a blood bath, it'll be because of the cichlids.