Cascade max flow

boogiedogo92

So i have an fx6 currently and ordered a Cascade Max flow from amazon, im currently surprised, plastic feels fine and the only complaint is the handles for the trays. I'm going to post some pictures of it tomorrow. But its flow is great and comparable to the fx6....the kicker is it has 20lbs of seachem Matrix 🤪

Edited by boogiedogo92

On 5/3/2022 at 5:59 AM, Guppysnail said:

How is the cascade doing?

Welcome to the forum.

It doing good so far, i am actually seeding it right now on one of my smaller tanks - like i said I can't tell the difference in flow between the fx6 and it- it hold a dumb amount of media. I filled the bottom tray with filter floss and I actually made a prefilter with mostly 25ppi sponge stepping up to 50 ppi at the end of the 3.062 id acrylic tube. Im happy so far. I believe it will do great on my oscars 180- then i can build another giant guppy tank with this tank. To give you an idea i can fill a 1 gallon bucket up with this in about 4.5 sec so it moves a massive amount of water  CA11C449-8E7A-4928-BC3D-0FD513A53D00.jpeg.ff0259c0ee12164b54fffd137b8b0b9f.jpeg523095F6-D3A5-43EE-B432-F520DAB13FC4.jpeg.98bfb905c7e94d7c716c21839880f5e9.jpeg20122B96-1F4E-4594-B815-DD3EA4671113.jpeg.96d9cd0fe0d4d7d57989725695ad1c07.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I definitely love the modded "boost filter" you have on the HOB as your in-line pre-filter. I wish more companies viewed this as a great way to make it so much easier to want to use a canister filter week to week.

I dig it! Nice work. Welcome.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 3:43 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I definitely love the modded "boost filter" you have on the HOB as your in-line pre-filter. I wish more companies viewed this as a great way to make it so much easier to want to use a canister filter week to week.

I dig it! Nice work. Welcome.

Its a great idea I don't understand why only sun sun shorta makes something like this but its like a full size canister filter. I still need to put an inline ball valve above it. I have have a friend who's an engineer that his specialty deals with pipes and inline filtration for public water who help me figure out sizing vs what kind of restrictions would occurs. I wanted to keep it somewhat compact but to where maintenance should not be needed much more then once a month or so. 

i did just flow test and 1 week deep its still flowing the same 450-500gph comfortably( this is also with the flow adjusted all the way down) i should be getting my 125 this weekend so hopefully we will get to move the oscars over so the royal plecos can grow in a more peaceful environment haha. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update - i think I've started to get rid of nitrate- im still doing water changes every 3-4 days in my 125 but I hadn't been testing- tested today and 5 days i have almost zero nitrate- still very yellow with a touch of orange . Which in the 55 i would be around 40-80ppm. 

• Like 1

Im going to clean the cascade tomorrow- its has started to go into it prime cycle which is a sign it working too hard and needs serviced. Soo it ran almost a month exactly in a extra heavy load tank(then about a week in the 125). Im forsure getting some nitrate reduction. Im actually feeding more- have more fish - two Raphael catfish the two Oscars and a royal pleco. All are about that 5.5 to 6in mark and im having what i would consider normal parameters 0-0 and less then 40 for unplanted after 7 days. With just the oscars and placo we were over 80ppm every 4-6 days.   I would expect 40ish ppm in the 125 gallon but at day 7 im still at this point where its just a bright yellow on the master test kit. 

• Like 1