Planting New Cryptocoryne

I am planning on getting some more crypts the ones I have took a long time to adjust and some still are. I just planted them into the substrate. With this new batch should I trim the leaves and roots to help it get started? If so how much roots and leaves should be trimmed, how close to the rhizome should I go? I have seen it in YouTube videos and it makes me nervous. 
Any help is appreciated.

On 4/24/2022 at 1:55 AM, Kurt Brutting said:

I am planning on getting some more crypts the ones I have took a long time to adjust and some still are. I just planted them into the substrate. With this new batch should I trim the leaves and roots to help it get started? If so how much roots and leaves should be trimmed, how close to the rhizome should I go? I have seen it in YouTube videos and it makes me nervous. 
Any help is appreciated.

This is a hard thing to say as IME it depends on the crypt. I always trim decaying leaves or damaged leaves prior to planting, and depending on the crypt, the source and packaging of the crypt I trim roots. If I'm pulling crypts from any mother plants I have that are going into a new tank I trim the 8" roots down to 2-3" prior to planting. If the plant were from a pot from the LFS and with long roots I do the same. Plants that are from in-vitro cultures I tend to plant as is, but I also convert plants from emersed to submersed growth months prior to planting them as submerged and again trim off damaged leaves and trim roots.

• Thanks 1

Not all my crypts have melted (most haven't had any melt) so I don't trim anything before planting. I figure it needs all the roots it can keep to keep it buried in the substrate. I do trim anything that melts once it's in the water, but usually I haven't had to do much.