Is epoxy aquarium safe?

Jovi

Hello, I'm working on a DIY canister filter project and I plan to use epoxy in the project. I tried searching online about whether epoxy is aquarium-safe but results I got were inconsistent, some saying it's completely safe once cured while some didn't clearly express it's safeness. Could someone advise on this issue? Thanks.

Is there a specific epoxy that you intend to use. A quick search turns up some epoxies that are identified as aquarium safe, even some that are marketed as aquarium epoxy. I don't want to make a blanket statement, but if you propose a specific epoxy, I can help research.

Once it's fully cured it should be fairly safe. Now, fairly safe is variable. Pretty much anything leaches a bit of material into water. Water is the universal solvent and eats away at pretty much everything to some extent.  A drop of fully cured epoxy in a 110-gallon tank likely won't affect anything. Build a whole tank out of epoxy that holds just a gallon of water that's never changed and there's a greater chance of it having an impact on the water quality. As long as you're somewhat restrained in your use of epoxy, you should be fine. Using less epoxy in more water reduces any risk. Using more epoxy in less water increases the risk. But the risk isn't huge. 

• Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 9:31 PM, Widgets said:

Is there a specific epoxy that you intend to use. A quick search turns up some epoxies that are identified as aquarium safe, even some that are marketed as aquarium epoxy. I don't want to make a blanket statement, but if you propose a specific epoxy, I can help research.

I live in Southeast Asia so my options are really limited here. I haven't decided on which specific epoxy I want to use just yet.

On 4/24/2022 at 5:17 AM, Dawn T said:

I researched this recently and found it varies depending on the type of epoxy used. I'd stick with the fish-safe epoxy sold for ponds.

Yeah, my biggest issue is my location and there's not really much options for me.

• Like 1