Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So I've been working on this build for a while... I'm getting close to starting to finish the rack system, its installed in its location, just doing some touchups with stain/etc on some alterations I had to do... So I thought maybe I'll share my experience with y'all.   As a background, I've never built anything even slightly close to this before.  But recently I went head first and caught MTS, so I started needing more efficient ways to store tanks!  

First, here are my original plans:

image.png.dbb649d9a1e31a5807ab5401d7092d3f.png

There are some changes on the tank sizes I decided to go with and placement.  I built it with the intent I could always put a 75 in the middle and top if I wanted to.  Decided 75 is going in the middle.

Here's the lumber.  Note the gas cans behind it.  Many times I have debated through this project just to burn it down with the gas... LOL

image.png.5bca6a7f6cc5101b119894d49bb08e9c.png

Rack built, turns out this is the easiest part of the whole thing.. Still hadn't cut the plywood shelves, but those are to come.

image.png.621d86ef24a06b0faad9349610184a43.png

Problem is for it to be in the living quarters of our home, my wife insisted it had to be stained.  This is when things slowed WAY down.

Sanded and prepped

image.png.69385e1383a0ef61b116d72357af32dd.png

image.png.ec9f5fb3e50ec61546c96d1891cd0c3d.png

Poly time:

image.png.1e1a0c2a12415c88d6f6c3635a458b50.png

Shelves are on

image.png.e53dad08c77d9e3dc35bbd2eb134b6df.png

Weight testing. Note the aquarium.  That is a 75gallon that I'm going to use in the middle.  You'll see pics in the future of a transformation of it.  

image.png.e6f53f24d39092c0387ebecc37712090.png

So now that it was finished.. brought it into the house.  Planned on installing it in my office.  I could not get it through the doors in my office.  I just had no way to maneuver it.  So I cut the top off and will reconnect using heavy duty stainless steel lag screws later.  

This was heart breaking to do.  I worked so hard on this thing, to cut it, was like cutting my own child.

iBuvdQimQF6tzwc9e9_LmA?viewBox=1723%2C969&ownerId=A1UFTBYIH5P4BP

But, it worked and I got it in.  Now time to fix it up.

image.png.be3b1958c0e184cc680d0ff633ba72a8.png

First step in the "repair"

image.png.9d9d72e39e5baeaf92cd43750fc5afe1.png

And here is the side view with the lag screws

yAv8_E9dQcG9NpaVx1ukRQ?viewBox=1723%2C969&ownerId=A1UFTBYIH5P4BP

Now with shelves

image.png.11aea228d35baf862942ba7425497270.png

So in the meantime, I completed the 75 gallon makeover

image.png.d644e7b0e8ffcbe0b08b58bf3890af70.png

So that brings us to today.  Today I'm working on cutting out a small notch on the side of the rack as I apparently wasn't as long on the rack as I thought for the 75 gallon.  I thought I would have enough room - somehow I thought it was 48-1/4" to the edges of the trim.  Nope, 48-1/2".  It fit, as I had EXACTLY 48-1/2" but it had to go in perfectly and it scrapes the sides.  As I painted over the trim, I didn't want to ruin it, so I notched out about a 1/4" on the inside and am restraining it to fix it up the best I can.

image.png

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...