Expel-P alternative?

Are you not able to get Expel-P?  It’s by far the easiest to find and dose in the US.  There are other alternates, just search for “levamisole powder”, but they should ideally be weighed very accurately for accurate dosing into most size tanks.  Outside the US, I’d have to let others make recommendations.  Please, tell us a bit more about why you want an alternate?

On 4/20/2022 at 11:37 AM, Henry the fish keeper said:

Yeah I guess your right.

Wait is it possible for them to have Expel-P?

I don’t know what they carry.  I rarely go into big box pet stores since they generally just make me angry with poor husbandry issues that I see all too often.  When I do go in, I usually zoom straight to what I need and don’t spend time looking around at all because I accidentally end up seeing a sick exotic, next I’m asking to speak to the manager and pointing out what they should be doing, then discussing further husbandry, the next thing I know I’ve spent an hour or more and I’ve checked over 2-3 animals that their in-house vet isn’t comfortable making recommendations about since they “don’t really do exotics”.  🙄

Mind you, I’m not blaming the in-house vet for not doing exotics, better to stay in their comfort zone, but all of the US based big box stores have company wide policies that any sick animals are to be seen by a vet, but local managers so often do not follow that policy because it’s inconvenient.  I know they have these policies since my friends (who are eminently qualified to see exotics) have set these policies.  I have seen plenty of animals from some stores, but it is a very inconsistently followed policy between stores.

You will have to see what your local store carries, what they can order for you, etc.  It’s certainly easy enough to order from ACO at a good price and they ship very fast.

• Like 1

Expel-P would be the easiest Levamisole powder to get. Flubendazole is a great alternative, and in my opinion, a bit more effective than levamisole, but it is much harder to get, and is not as user-friendy of a med. Stick w/Expel-P, and try to get some in the food as well, which should be the fastest way to combat internal parasites.