Need advice on quickly sorting guppies for LFS

KittenFishMom

The next time I am at the cottage I want to quickly sort out guppies for the local fish store. I have been looking on Amazon and on YouTube for methods. One video suggested using spider strainer ladles. I wonder if there are nets with different size holes, or colanders with set hole sizes that will sort the guppies the way nesting coin trays keep quarters in the top trey, and nickels in the next and pennies in the next and dimes fall through to the bottom.

I won't have time or energy to do a lot of selecting and culling and such. I just want to keep the adults and the fry that are too small and put the middle size guppies in a bucket for the fish store. I'm not looking for perfect, or exact, just fast and low stress for the fish and for me.

Any advice would be great. 

Mom is not doing well. I caught another bullhead for her today, but I don't know if she will feel up to eating it. I was hoping get get another one, but the wind is kicking up and the winter driftwood is snagging the fishing lines. Also caught 2 mudpuppies. I need to release them after attempting to gently removing the hooks they swallowed. I use circle hooks, the the mudpuppies have a good chance of living with the hooks inside them.

• Sad 1

On 4/16/2022 at 7:43 PM, KittenFishMom said:

Something lke this might work, but I am not sure what size I need

probably at least 3. one to capture, then one for male, one for females.

On 4/16/2022 at 7:26 PM, KittenFishMom said:

One video suggested using spider strainer ladles. I wonder if there are nets with different size holes, or colanders with set hole sizes that will sort the guppies the way nesting coin trays keep quarters in the top trey, and nickels in the next and pennies in the next and dimes fall through to the bottom.

There is a video dean has to make the thing you've found float. There is also something called aqua culture mesh that you can make whatever you need out of it.

I'm so sorry that your mom isn't doing better. I wish I lived nearby to help you. It kills me that I can't just fly out and help. Truly.

If the tank is clear of decorations and partly empty: Sorting guppies goes fast with a medium co-op net and specimen containers for good visibility after catching so you can sort quickly with a shrimp net. I use taco bell cups frequently for holding different selections... I write on them what is going into them with sharpie then clean it off with alcohol after.

I use a plastic vegetable colander bought at the  local store. The vegetable colander has larger holes, but not so large the adult males or midsize and larger females would fall back into the tank.

I am sorry your mom is not improving. I am glad you are able to be with her, and do things that bring her joy. That's the most valuable gift we can give another human being.

• Like 1