Trying to bulk up a fish that's wasting

ange

I separated my sparkling gouramis because the male turned into a tank boss and the female got skinny. She's already a been finicky so I'm looking for suggestions on what may bring her back ASAP since I'm not really comfortable with her current weight.

Background-

I've owned my sparklings for almost 2 years. They had some kind of cestode infestation (most likely tapeworm) that was treated within the first two months of my owning them. Until recently they shared my heavily planted 10g. I've attached a photo at the bottom and want to point out how slim her abdomen is. Her ovaries have completely shrunk to the point that they're no longer visible and she's been like this for over a month while I try to put weight back on her. The tank that I moved her into is my portrait with no tankmates and that happened this morning. The tank has seed shrimp, hydra, and other microfauna for her to pick at on the side.

Parameters (origin tank, the portrait that she moved into is similar but is heated by the room and fluctuates 76-80F/24.5-27C)

Ammonia and nitrogen compounds are zeroed and I dose the tank with Easy Green 2x/week for my stems.
Temp is 78F/26C.
GH/KH are 25-75/0-40 respectively.

The GH/KH are the primary recent change as I live in Texas and have extremely hard water normally. I replaced my old water softener 2 months ago and have had much softer water since then. I have Equilibrium on standby but as I'm not one to chase parameters I wanted to wait and see, then have it ready just in case.

General feeding routine-

One 10mg scoop for each of them (so 20mg total) mixed with tank water and released into the water column. They also get 3mL of vinegar eels (ready to feed) or baby brine most days, whatever I have readily available. I don't designate frozen foods for this tank but tend to cut a slice off of cubes that go into other tanks and give them a little bit. These guys don't eat much at a time so I've had the most success keeping their water clean by giving them very small but more frequent feedings, usually 3-5x per day. The tank also has otocinclus (2) that get Soilent Green/spirulina tabs and wild type Neocaridinas that pick at whatever the fish don't get.

Foods/other that I have tried in the main tank-

Blood worms (frozen and freeze dried) - Neither of my sparklings will eat blood worms, even if I mince them.
Easy Fry Food - She eats this but a great deal of it goes to waste. She hasn't gained much weight even if I give small amounts (one 10mg scoop) 3x in a day in addition to regular feedings.
Daphnia (frozen and freeze dried) - She eats these but hasn't gained any weight on them.
GarlicGuard - Doesn't entice her which is pretty unfortunate because my sparklings and plecos are the only fish that don't give a hoot about it and I would love to have an effective additive right now.
Fluval Bug Bites - This is their current staple food. The granule size is mostly right for them. I give it by mixing one 10mg scoop per fish with tank water and releasing it to the water column as they eat the most quickly at mid water twice per day (a bit more on days that I'm home).
Hikari Micro Pellets/Micro Wafers/Vibra Bites - Putting these together because some of the pieces are small enough for them but others aren't and get wasted. I stopped feeding both foods as a staple because of this.
Repashy Community Plus (gelled and powdered) - Since the gel form sinks, neither eat it. I have given it to them powdered and they have eaten it which made me think that maybe I should try Spawn and Grow as a supplement to her diet?
Tubifex worms (frozen) - This is how I initially got weight onto both of them shortly after I brought them home, but the place that I got them from no longer keeps them in stock and I haven't found another source.
Xtreme Krill Flakes - Honestly my best commercial flake candidate. She eats it but hasn't gained much weight on it. Similar issue to Easy Fry Food.
VitaChem - Not a food but I often soak my frozen foods in VitaChem because of the attractants in it. It helps to get my less aggressive eaters into the good stuff before it's gone. I also keep a few fin nippers so this has multiple purposes in my routine.

20220414_113026.jpg

Edited by ange
  • Sad 2

It's possible she has wasting disease if she losing weight and has a sunken belly you try treating with Fritz Expel p once a week for 3 weeks the food your feeding her is fine that why I think it could be a internal parasites that why she not thriving

• Thanks 1