Nitrate at 80 ppm

Huihui

Help my nitrate is at 80ppm. I did a water change about 60 precent, and I check the water again is still at 80ppm, so I did a 70 percent water change again and is still at 80ppm. What do I do? Should I buy denitrate? 

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 5.0ppm

Nitrate: 80 ppm

This is usually the issue with most people using the freshwater test kit- if you haven't been shaking the 2nd bottle for 30 seconds and then the test tube for 1 minute after you add the 2nd bottle drops SINCE YOU STARTED USING THE KIT AND EVERY TIME AFTER this will give you false readings for the life of the kit- there are crystals that form in the 2nd bottle that need to dissolve which is the reason for all the shaking. 

I would get a bottle of test strips as a back up test when you can. 

If your fish are not acting off then I would do nothing further. If you're iffy about it do another water change tomorrow or when your fish are not acting right. I suspect you may be getting false readings OR you have Nitrate in your replacement water- which you can also test for. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't recommend using bandaid products like denitrate UNLESS it's an emergency and fish are showing signs of stress. Even then water changing is better. Since that doesn't seem to be the case avoid it. They often cause more fluctuations in parameters that actually stress fish more the majority of the time. 🙂