Nerite Snail

TravisBumpy

I have found many conflicting opinions on this subject. So I want to hear from someone who has actually done this.

Who has switched nerite snails from fresh to saltwater and vice versa? I have zebra nerite living in a freshwater tank. I am curious about breeding them. Any help would be appreciated.

I put three Red Racetrack Nerites in a 10 gallon with sticks full of eggs. 5 gallons of water, emergent hardscape for them to graze on above water. I slowly increased salinity to slightly brackish. As far as I know, the eggs dissolved. I never quite went to full saltwater, and I don't remember why I stopped.

A handful of us here have been curious as well about breeding them in captivity and the long and short of it is…

There lifecycle stages are not conducive to successful breeding in the aquaria. Getting them to hatch is one thing, but getting them to metamorphose out of the larval stage is another entirely. Amphidromy and anadromous life cycles are very difficult to replicate. And from what I’ve read depending on the nerite species they each have very specific paths as larval snails.

Anecdotal evidence on other forums has never been confirmed even anecdotal evidence by supposed biologists.