Root tabs only?

On 4/12/2022 at 11:12 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

So then I am left with sand.  That has turned out poorly for plant establishment in the past.  Should I be using a specialized aquarium soil underneath a sand cap?  Also, I'm given to understand those soils, for lack of a better term, wear out over time.  If I put that in capped with sand, does that give the system a lifespan, or is there a way to maintain it long-term?  These are the questions I have.  And probably more.

Only having sand is fine. I did just sand a while ago and had good growth. Pool filter sand is better than sandbox sand. 

Any time you use an aqua soil, plants will just do better, capped or not. Aqua soils do loose nutrients over time, but they have excellent CEC and will pull nutrients from the column. Aqua soils need to be replaced once they no longer hold their structure. They will kind of turn to mud after some years. The more strict planted aquarists will swap aqua soil every year or so. I like Landen Soil, not as potent, but holds up over time.

On 4/12/2022 at 11:04 AM, Patrick_G said:

@GreenCircleGirl, you don’t have to use Easy Green. There are liquid fertilizers that contain little or no nitrogen. I’d like to see this product from Aquarium Co-op. 

They do need to come out with one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 12:30 PM, Patrick_G said:

cheap Osmocote granules

The thing I hate about osmocote is the poly coats never seem to break down.  At least in plant pots and gardens.  Haven't used it submerged, but the duration in other settings give me pause. 

I am not familiar with Safe T Sorb.  Sounds similar to Turface.  Do you know if Turface would be an acceptable substitute?  I have like 150# of that on hand.

@Mmiller2001, I'm also checking our the Landen too.  Thanks!

On 4/12/2022 at 3:40 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

The thing I hate about osmocote is the poly coats never seem to break down.  At least in plant pots and gardens.  Haven't used it submerged, but the duration in other settings give me pause. 

I am not familiar with Safe T Sorb.  Sounds similar to Turface.  Do you know if Turface would be an acceptable substitute?  I have like 150# of that on hand.

@Mmiller2001, I'm also checking our the Landen too.  Thanks!

I linked Roy's 75 gallon discus tank above. He uses sand over osmocote root tabs, and only doses a remineralizer blend (calcium, magnesium, potassium) regularly. 

Plants generally do better in soft, acidic water and aquasoil will buffer the water for you. There are also world-class aquariums using inert substrates. The bottom line is that you can find success in any number of ways, I don't think there is a "right way" to do a planted tank. It comes down to an appropriate balance between light, nutrients, and CO2. I don't think how you apply those nutrients, or in what precise quantities, is as important as most people think. There are also lots of other factors ("husbandry") that can be just as important. Check out this article on "nutrient tunnel vision."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @gardenman!  That's all good perspective!  I'm checking out the article right now, and already it looks good.  That second paragraph really rings true today.  I might have to check out a few more articles on that site! 

On 4/12/2022 at 6:23 PM, gjcarew said:

Plants generally do better in soft, acidic water and aquasoil will buffer the water for you.

This is probably the bigger issue for me.  These will be going into hard, high pH water.  And I'd like to keep it that way as that's my well water, which makes it easiest.  Plus, I've leaned into that for fish, which has made this hobby much, much more enjoyable for me.   Tangs will be going in there, and they like that water too.  I'll leave it all as is and then tag you when I am in a fluster about it now working out.  Kidding!  I'm just kidding. 

I do appreciate the measured advice.  That's always the most helpful!