can snails live in low pH?

BAT

Hi All,

I went to my LFS to replace my dead snails and I was told that snails do not do well in low pH water - and that this may have contributed to their death.  is this true?  I have a betta and a resurgence of algae, so I would like to replace my snails. but I dont want to run a Kevorkian snail death camp.

thanks

beth

On 4/8/2022 at 6:21 PM, BAT said:

Thank you all! I have a high GH. The guy at the LFS said if the pH is low they can’t absorb the minerals? Not sure how that works

At a certain pH they start using CaCO3 to regulate their internal body pH instead of absorbing it for shell growth.

I worked with a guy who was raising snails to clean fry talks. They all had serious calcium deficiencies and high mortality. He kept crashing the pH over 2 or 3 days from 8 to 6.5, the water was soft, and he only fed them commercial fish food.

I had the same snails from the same source in harder water, lots of variety in their diet, at a constant pH of 6 to 6.5 and they all looked great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 5:22 PM, BAT said:

Where do I put the coral bag? I have two sponge filters no HOB.  can I just put it on the gravel?

That's what I've done in my tanks with sponge filters. As long as you don't mind how it looks it works just fine.

• Thanks 1