co op test strip ph versus api test kit

Fish tank Dad

I keep getting lower readings with the aquarium co op test strips. My ph test 6.6-6.8 with the test strips but 7.6 with the api test kit. This is multiple tanks test about 1 ph difference. What could be causing this and should i try a third brand of ph test kit to figure out which one is correct?

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 4:11 PM, Fish tank Dad said:

I keep getting lower readings with the aquarium co op test strips. My ph test 6.6-6.8 with the test strips but 7.6 with the api test kit. This is multiple tanks test about 1 ph difference. What could be causing this and should i try a third brand of ph test kit to figure out which one is correct?

I’d try buying a solution of a know PH. You can get it on Amazon. It’s used to calibrate digital PH meters. 

On 4/5/2022 at 4:11 PM, Fish tank Dad said:

I keep getting lower readings with the aquarium co op test strips. My ph test 6.6-6.8 with the test strips but 7.6 with the api test kit.

This is pretty common with the tetra strips as well. There is also a high range and low range PH test (with the drops).  I tend to not worry about it, but I totally understand the concern.

If there is any doubt, as long as the liquid test isn't expired, I would rely on that test (both high range and normal PH range testing results)

My test strips read low too.  I think there was a bad batch because Cory compared mine to another match in the same conditions and the other batch worked.  I stopped caring about pH so I didn't bother replacing them.  The rest of the pads works well for me as long as you use as directed.

Edited by CT_