Amazon Sword

Hi everyone, 

I am hoping to get some advice on what these are on some of my Amazon Sword plants. I didn't quite know what I was doing on this one as I have never kept live plants before and I buried the rhyzome. 😬 Now on a couple of them, they have lost the rhyzome and roots so they are just resting on the bottom and have these spiky growths on them. I think these are "plantlets" but am not sure. Thoughts? Should I just leave them be, let them grow and plant them correctly once they are big enough or just cull them and call it a loss?

Thanks for any tips or input on this. Sometimes this feels like drinking from a fire hose but I am learning slowly. 😜 

amazon sword maybe plantlets.jpg

Hi there, Amazon swords are root plants there is no rhizone....I think what you have there might be narrow leaf java fern which would have a rhizone. Take it out and glue it to something or at least let the rhizone be exposed and it should be good. They like to put their little roots into the gravel/substrate but don't do well when buried. 

thats a java fern, and those things on the leaf are baby plants. let them get a bit bigger then they can be picked off and planted elsewhere. in the future, dont bury the rhizome on java ferns. you can stick the roots in the gravel, or glue them to some of the hardscape.