Clean Sponge Filter of Eggs

Bev C

I have 2 of the ACO sponge filters  and i have nerite snails .. I use a razor blade , toothpick and a toothbrush to clean of rock, wall and wood …  

and most times i do not mind the eggs from  the snails they do a wonderful job cleaning 

but the blade or toothpick or brush will not work on the sponges i have  tried boiling them and still no luck to get them off ,, any way to clean these i would hate to replace my sponges they are still good and doing a good job but looks awful with white eggs covering the black sponges 

If you have a secondary filtration so you can clean the sponges without disrupting your cycle from killing off the beneficial bacteria On the sponge. Try distilled white vinegar .99 cents at the grocery.  The vinegar dissolves calcium and mineral deposits. It may partially dissolve or soften the mineralized egg casing and allow them to be removed easier. I only have a boy nerite but vinegar was going to be my go to if Nemo was a girl so I have not tried it. I would love to know if it works. Vinegar also does wonders for hard water build up on tank lids and exterior surfaces. 

• Like 1

@Guppysnail

Thank you I will try the vinegar bath ,, i have a canister filter and two sponges  (like my sponge filters for extra filtration  & if i need to start a new tank )

i never clean them at same time to keep the bio /cycle .. i clean them one at time  i use vinegar when i clean a new  or empty tank ..

i have used a bleach and vinegar bath and a prime soak afterwards  on my emergency box filter (in case electric goes out ) but i let it set out 2 weeks  i heard if you do not smell the bleach or vinegar it was safe to use

but with it being a sponge and it soaks up stuff should i soak in prime afterwards  longer to be sure the vinegar is out  usually i go by smell while doing a bath 

If it works i will let you know 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1