Is this fungus?

Vexus

B510F283-FD03-4DC8-85CD-1529F977D5A9.jpeg.f262f940dd99cdda8b17b220c765c251.jpegAs you may be able to see from the picture I’m concerned about my platty. At first I thought it had a small injury from bumping into something like a rock but After treating the tank and waiting it hasn’t really gotten better. Infact it appears to have spread more on its side. Other than appearance there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with my fish and none of the others show any signs of the same issue. Gills and fins all seem to be fine, eating habits are the same and it’s still active in swimming around and such or spending time in the shade from the driftwood. I don’t have any tests available at this time so I can’t give parameters for now.  Here are a few more pictures. Any help is appreciated. 27228564-0710-4B84-9EA0-96067B461F0D.jpeg.7b2ac7121e34138ee525aeae6f19b3a9.jpegACFEF006-05DE-4B2C-B4FB-8E6EB00ED5B2.jpeg.ea26d5ad91d1081cb62ea428fb0abea4.jpeg489169D4-AB66-4007-8B86-66607A132486.jpeg.919b1daa62207b68adddddb0646fb60b.jpeg3D1FF120-EE91-415F-AD97-E96151DBA177.jpeg.945a1d6a7944a101272f9c386a8a90b7.jpeg8590B6AD-D349-4DA2-BDF7-7EA3AD237183.jpeg.fb3f61f310ed7bf0df67e0fb096aba40.jpeg

No scratching or rubbing against anything. Honestly behavior wise there is no change at all. I tried api melafix when I first noticed it but no change so I’ll try a different med more suited for fungus infections instead of bacteria. 

I would say bacterial infection it could have a secondary fungal infection  what I would do is treat with a combination of kanaplex in food and jungal fungas clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone together that extremely effective treatment for severe bacterial infections and secondary fungal infections as he not looking good melafix is just a mild antiseptic treatment I wouldn't use treat anything more serious

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

@Colu could I get some clarification on some of those items and were to get them? I normally get my supplies from Amazon cause my LFS overcharges anything that’s not a fish. 

Items I can’t find on Amazon are… Jungal fungus clear, focus and entice. 

I did find garlicguard and kanaplex so I guess I may not need the entice. Also I use flake food and frozen blood worms, so will I need a different food type or can this work with flakes?

On 4/1/2022 at 2:52 AM, Vexus said:

@Colu could I get some clarification on some of those items and were to get them? I normally get my supplies from Amazon cause my LFS overcharges anything that’s not a fish. 

Items I can’t find on Amazon are… Jungal fungus clear, focus and entice. 

I did find garlicguard and kanaplex so I guess I may not need the entice. Also I use flake food and frozen blood worms, so will I need a different food type or can this work with flakes?

You can use seachems garlic guard or entice you don't use them both together  you can get jungal fungas clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone from Walmart if you have local one or nitrofurazone powder off aquabid i would use pellets or frozen foods when making the medicated food

Edited by Colu

It looks like I’ll need to use aquabid cause nobody has anything in my area for almost a 10 mile radius. Every Walmart is out of stock. Did they take it away with the fish walls? You’d think petsmart or petco would carry this stuff…. I’ll figure something out, Iv never used aquabid so I’ll need to see how that’s done. 
 Just so I can cover all the bases, does co-op carry a decent alternative to the jungle fizz tablets? Like that ich-x? I didn’t see nitrofurazone in the ”contains” list so I didn’t know if it will work or not, but it mentions fungal issues. 

I also bought a bottle of PIMAFIX, is it safe to assume that won't work? If not then I'll just return it seeing as I haven't opened it yet.

Edited by Vexus

So the main med containing Nitrofurazone was called Furan-2 by API. It was discontinued. Jungle Fungus became more popular, since it's nearly impossible to get Furan 2 anymore. Perhaps that is getting scarce now, as well. I think it has to do with the active ingredient itself.

Ich-x does have some anti-fungal properties, but Columnaris is a bacteria driven, not fungal. I believe it it gram-negative bacteria. The Co-op does carry Erythromycin (Maracyn) but that mainly treats gram positive. I have not had success with that for Columnaris. I don't believe they carry any meds that focus on gram negative bacteria (Kanaplex, Fin and Body Cure, Maracyn 2, etc), but I could be wrong.

I have also had success with API Triple Sulfa against Columnaris, but that is also extremely difficult to find nowadays.

Then that means only med I can find that I can get ahold of is the Kanaplex and possiblyl Maracyn Two. I guess I will have to call my LFS and see if they have anything. I know they have Kanaplex, I just hope that will be enough to handle it on its own. Maybe add some salt as well. I'm just worried it'll hurt my plants.

I forgot to mention I have another poste related to this one in the plants, algae and fertilizer section and after getting some info on that situation and this one I'm positive the fungus issues my tank has is causing the issue in my fish. So not only do I need to treat my fish I also need to take care of these fungus spores after I reclean my tank again.

At this point I wonder if a combination of ich-X and Kanaplex would solve this issue, kinda like Colu suggested with dosing their food with Kanaplex but using ich-X instead of the jungle fungus seeing as I can't get ahold of it.

Edited by Vexus

• 2 weeks later...

So after dosing the tank and monitoring it closely and dosing food I have gotten the mold issue I. The tank under control but whatever is on the fish has been reduced but not fully removed. I’ll keep trying things but unless I see any signs of health issues in the fish I won’t worry to much. 

thanks for everyone’s opinions and suggestions. With them I was able to solve the primary issue.