Water sprite

I bought water sprite and it arrived February 14th, I think.  This picture is from Tuesday.  I know water sprite doesn’t ship well and is supposed to die back before it gets better.  It’s in the front of the tank, left corner.  It looked better when I first got it.  I’ve given it a root tab, and I dose the tank with easy green and easy iron every Friday.  About how long does it take for water sprite to bounce back?

Water temperature is 74 (unheated tank).  I leave the light on for about 12 hours or more a day.  I have ramshorn snails in the tank to take care of algae.  

BA27E9D2-381C-4362-B5CA-1285F317DA11.jpeg

Edited by Don H

I did give it a root tab about 2 weeks ago.  I have another 29 gallon that doesn’t have other plants in it, maybe I’ll move it to that tank and that way it doesn’t have to share the liquid fertilizer with the other plants. 

On 3/27/2022 at 7:11 PM, BAT said:

@JoeQ can it outcompete other plants for nitrates?  I noticed just when it started to thrive that my pogo started to dwindle.

I don’t think it can in my tanks. I’ve had no luck with it floating or in an Easy Planter with root tabs and Easy Green 2x per week. It did better right after root tabs but still was just meh. I think the darn duckweed eats all my nitrates; the tank stays at zero almost all the time even though it’s overstocked and gets Easy Green 2x week. Other plants are Anubias, aponogeton, Java fern and 3 kinds of swords, all doing well. 

On 3/27/2022 at 8:17 PM, PineSong said:

I don’t think it can in my tanks. I’ve had no luck with it floating or in an Easy Planter with root tabs and Easy Green 2x per week. It did better right after root tabs but still was just meh. I think the darn duckweed eats all my nitrates; the tank stays at zero almost all the time even though it’s overstocked and gets Easy Green 2x week. Other plants are Anubias, aponogeton, Java fern and 3 kinds of swords, all doing well. 

I won't do duckweed again, it's aquarium herpes, that evil weed sucks up sooo many nutrients it'll eventually starve itself out if left to reproduce uncontrolled. 

Edited by JoeQ
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2022 at 7:29 AM, JoeQ said:

I won't do duckweed again, it's aquarium herpes, that evil weed sucks up sooo many nutrients it'll eventually starve itself out if left to reproduce uncontrolled. 

I would love to get rid of my duck weed but have not been able to accomplish this. If you have a good method, let me know!

Edited by PineSong
removing double post

On 4/2/2022 at 5:22 PM, Don H said:

@Tanked I don’t.  

I saw the Co2 Drop checker in @Apulo's tank.  I wish I could say I've that I had great success with WS.  WS was one of my beginner plant failures  Apulo has that mass of Water Sprite that I wanted when I started.  WS does not require Co2 or high light but definitely will respond to it. You already moved the plant as @BAT suggested.  I would add another shot of Easy Green mid week and a timer on your lights.  (..."I leave the light on for about 12 hours or more a day")  All of your plants will benefit from a consistant photo period.  A timer will allow you to remove a variable and adjust the light period according to how your plants respond.

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2022 at 11:55 AM, Tanked said:

I saw the Co2 Drop checker in @Apulo's tank.  I wish I could say I've that I had great success with WS.  WS was one of my beginner plant failures  Apulo has that mass of Water Sprite that I wanted when I started.  WS does not require Co2 or high light but definitely will respond to it. You already moved the plant as @BAT suggested.  I would add another shot of Easy Green mid week and a timer on your lights.  (..."I leave the light on for about 12 hours or more a day")  All of your plants will benefit from a consistant photo period.  A timer will allow you to remove a variable and adjust the light period according to how your plants respond.

I'm starting to think beginner plants is code for 'plant requires as little light as possible and constant neglect' 🤣

• Haha 3

On 4/3/2022 at 1:11 PM, Don H said:

@JoeQ lol.  Maybe I should move it to my quarantine tank.  It’s in my basement and gets hardly any light.  It’s got some platys in it now.  

It wouldn't hurt to put a trimming in and see

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2022 at 11:55 AM, Tanked said:

I totally agree that my plants don't need Co2, I wanted to see what they'd do with Co2.

As you can see, the growth is rather explosive.

• Like 2