What do "high", "medium", and "low" light mean?

What does "good for medium to low light" in plant descriptions actually mean?  

I have this light (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093GZKYM9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on a 5-gal cube and an 16-in finnex stingray 2 on a 10-gallon.  I'm guessing this is "medium"?

I also see sites say thing like "2W/gal" but is this LED watts or incandescent watts or some other notion of watt?

-steve

On 3/24/2022 at 1:38 PM, memorywrangler said:

I have this light (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093GZKYM9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on a 5-gal cube and an 16-in finnex stingray 2 on a 10-gallon.  I'm guessing this is "medium"?

I also see sites say thing like "2W/gal" but is this LED watts or incandescent watts or some other notion of watt?

-steve

The watts per gallon is out dated because of the LED's. To measure the intensity of light you will need a PAR meter, which can measure the umols at substrate. 

I can not speak on the Hygger clip on but the finnex stingray 2 on a 10-gallon I believe is considered to be medium light. Irene put a video out about this and measured the par for it.

Edited by SkaleyAquatics
Added about the finnex
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 10:38 AM, memorywrangler said:

-steve

Hi -steve,

You will see many descriptions on various forums for what low, medium, and high light are.  They all deal with light intensity, specifically measured in Photo-active Radiation or the amount of light that is usable to plants that hits a given spot.

I personally consider PAR@50 or less at "low light"; PAR@ 50 - 80 as "medium light"; and PAR@80 or greater as "high light".  Usually when dealing with high light it is best to use injected CO2 to avoid growing an algae farm in my tank.  Do plants know if the are low, medium, or high light?  Of course not.  I have grown 'moderate light' species (Pogostemon helferi) in PAR@40 with no CO2, it put out new leaves but it was far from 'thriving'.  I did a little searching online and the Finnex Stingray II provides about PAR@60 at the substrate level through a Aqueon Versa-top.

Of course, you can have a 'high light' tank and plant 'low light' plants in it by placing them so they are shaded by other plants. FYI, the 2 watts per gallon rule applied to the very old florescent T-12 tubes and have not bearing on T-8. T-5, or T5-HO lamps.  Hope this helps! -Roy 
879642983_2013-09-2610Gallon003CroppedAdjSnSmBlyxaDownoi.jpg.a0020c9fab4ffdd4453333179ffef6a1.jpg

On 3/24/2022 at 12:16 PM, Apulo said:

modestfish.com did some PAR testing on a few models of lights for a review. Pretty decent info.

LED-Light-Par-Test-768x421.png.32e5d915f43244db3483d440cce288df.png

Although they do mention the manufacturers of the fixtures regrettably not the models of the fixtures or if the readings were in 'free air', through water, and if there is a glass cover or not. I got my information from a YouTube video with an individual using an Apogee PAR meter in a 10 gallon aquarium with the model light of the OP through a glass top. -Roy

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist

On 3/24/2022 at 3:58 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Regrettable they do mention the manufacturers of the fixtures but notthe models of the fixtures or if the readings were in 'free air', through water, and if there is a glass cover or not. 

Yeah, no model numbers since this is a review of the Fluval Plant 3.0.

They did show a picture of the test tank. The readings were through water with no cover.

• Like 1