Discus feeding

Juancho

Out of my discus I have one little guy possibly stunted that will spit out beef heart more then he eats it. I do very the diet but would like to see him eat beef heart.  Has anyone had trouble with a discus not eating beef heart ? I think he might of gotten use to eating blood worms, stinker. 

On 3/23/2022 at 7:45 PM, Juancho said:

Out of my discus I have one little guy possibly stunted that will spit out beef heart more then he eats it. I do very the diet but would like to see him eat beef heart.  Has anyone had trouble with a discus not eating beef heart ? I think he might of gotten use to eating blood worms, stinker. 

Mine don't like beef heart. I tried the frozen from Petco and they just spit it out. I don't really want to mess with it (teach them to eat it) because it seems to be something to foul the tank anyway.  Does he eat other things well? 

I feed flake, frozen blood worms and freeze dried blood worms. 

They even like to pick at sinking wafers I put in for the Kuhlis, Hillstream and Bristle nose.

I have recently learned from a Discus distributer that only about 50% of small juveniles will make it to adult. I'm buying only medium (4") ones or full grown from now on. 

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 2:17 AM, Wrencher_Scott said:

Mine don't like beef heart. I tried the frozen from Petco and they just spit it out. I don't really want to mess with it (teach them to eat it) because it seems to be something to foul the tank anyway.  Does he eat other things well? 

I feed flake, frozen blood worms and freeze dried blood worms. 

They even like to pick at sinking wafers I put in for the Kuhlis, Hillstream and Bristle nose.

I have recently learned from a Discus distributer that only about 50% of small juveniles will make it to adult. I'm buying only medium (4") ones or full grown from now on. 

Wow that’s great info. I’m always looking for insight from other discus keepers. They do eat other things like bloodworms and flake easy. I’m been inquiring about freeze dried foods. But no one’s really given me a solid answer. With bloodworms I get worried about them getting back up. I had expensive fish die from what others told me a to high “protein diet”. From bloodworms?  Idk they go crazy when I stick bloodworms in. out of some research I found out exactly what your saying about the size of fish luckily they have all reached the 4” or close size with the exception of Turquoise discus he’s not growing as fast. Even Hans from Hans discus said it’s better to bye the 4” cause all the hard work is done and you can enjoy the fish more. Boy he right lol. Thanks 

On 3/24/2022 at 6:10 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I don't feed beef heart to my discus, I have tried but they won't eat it. They eat pretty much anything else, pellets, krill flakes, frozen brine and bloodworms, freeze dried worms and live blackworms, so I'm not concerned that they don't touch the beef heart. 

Thanks. I’m starting to figure out that it doesn’t have to be a staple in the diet. Thanks for the info. Seems like freeze dry might be something I add to my foods. Appreciate it 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:43 AM, Juancho said:

Wow that’s great info. I’m always looking for insight from other discus keepers. They do eat other things like bloodworms and flake easy. I’m been inquiring about freeze dried foods. But no one’s really given me a solid answer. With bloodworms I get worried about them getting back up. I had expensive fish die from what others told me a to high “protein diet”. From bloodworms?  Idk they go crazy when I stick bloodworms in. out of some research I found out exactly what your saying about the size of fish luckily they have all reached the 4” or close size with the exception of Turquoise discus he’s not growing as fast. Even Hans from Hans discus said it’s better to bye the 4” cause all the hard work is done and you can enjoy the fish more. Boy he right lol. Thanks 

Thanks. I’m starting to figure out that it doesn’t have to be a staple in the diet. Thanks for the info. Seems like freeze dry might be something I add to my foods. Appreciate it 

Too much protein? No way, only worry about not enough. Look for foods with at least 40% for them. The reason breeders feed beef heart is because it is super lean aka all protein, very little fat. 

I'm waiting for an order of Hikari Cichlid floating pellets to come it for them now, I'm hoping they will like them. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 10:07 AM, Wrencher_Scott said:

Too much protein? No way, only worry about not enough. Look for foods with at least 40% for them. The reason breeders feed beef heart is because it is super lean aka all protein, very little fat. 

I'm waiting for an order of Hikari Cichlid floating pellets to come it for them now, I'm hoping they will like them. 

Awesome. Thanks Scott. This is why I became a forum member.  Great info.  

• Like 1