Flashing

Cinnebuns

Ammonia: 0

Nitritre:  0

Nitrate: 20

For at least a month I have been noticing one of my female guppies rubbing on substrate and decor. At first I just took note of it. She gave birth about a week after I noticed it so I assumed that was the cause as they will sometimes do this from the discomfort of pregnancy. 

The past week I have started noticing other fish doing this too. First I would see some of my panda cories then today I noticed my male guppy doing it. I see no signs of ich or other marks on them. Should I treat for external parasites just in case?  Other ideas?

Ty

@Mackie gosh I really hope that isn't it. Given for about a month it was only 1 fish doing it I would say not likely to be the cause at that time, yet again it could be 2 different causes. Maybe at first it was because of pregnancy like I originally thought, and now it's the heater. How did he/she figure out it was the heater?  Is there a way I can test it?

Come to think of it, I did notice yesterday that the temp mysteriously went up about 2 degrees F. Also it's a crappy heater than came with a kit with the tank. 

We got some advice from the pros at aquashella recently. Try taking the heater the out and see if it continues. How old is your heater? Fluval & eheim make decent adjustable heaters in several different wattages that won't break the bank. Not saying it's for sure your heater but it's worth a shot, we never even thought about it untill it was mentioned 

It wouldn't explain the rubbing but it could explain the flashing. Also I believe flashing plus rubbing could be a sign of gill flukes 

I intentionally had 2 heaters on backup. I put one in just in case. If things change I'll know that was probably the source and throw the old heater away. I also realized I've noticed some glass surfing the past couple days. Could point to this as well. 

Ok, so I changed the heater then I had a strange experience AFTER changing it. I went to put my hand in the tank and got a shock. Nothing big. Just like after rubbing your feet on the floor. But got me wondering if there is infact a malfunction but not with the heater. Is it possible to come from a filter?  There is 2. 1 HOB and 1 internal. I suspect the internal more as I just added it back from another tank within the past week. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

• 2 weeks later...