Pleco Breeding behavior

DocAqua

I have 2 albino bristlenose and 1 juvenile super red.  The large one without bristles and chunkier body started doing some fine flapping just outside the cave.  I had always assumed this was a female, but I thought this behavior was only males?

My male started acting male-ish before he quite had bristles. I can’t remember if they were just barely visible, or not visible at all. I remember thinking the female was not impressed with this awkward preteen who couldn’t even grow a real beard yet! So be sure to inspect the nose closely and maybe wait a few weeks to see if you see any stubble.

Thanks so much for the reply. That's really great info! 

This pleco is about 3 inches already, so I'd expect there to be bristles at this point if there's gonna be.  I guess I was more concerned that I just have a male that has no bristles...(?)

• Like 1

My lemon bn did not have his whiskers until the first set of eggs. He went in the cave with no whiskers and came out with 5 o’clock shadow whiskers. 
@Beardedbillygoat1975 taught me an easy way to distinguish boys in lemon and albino. I’m not sure if it is visible in SR. Right behind the eye top center is a reddish patch only in the males. You can kind of see it in these pics. Bn are funny. My dad does not trap mom. They do this beautiful mating dance and both go in and out of the cave. Mom sits on top and “inspects” inside a few times and makes dad keep cleaning until she finds it suitable. 

140AC25C-F315-4990-8516-BBDA8FE0A1E7.jpeg

F1E2BD1C-A678-4EEA-829E-E2A1BD53DE68.jpeg

I just found this so it’s easy to see boy from girl

2D21C928-7D08-4A32-BA09-7D451F910FE5.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
Add
  • Like 1
  • Love 1