Plant obtained ramshorn. To keep or not to keep?

Cinnebuns

Got new plants. Immediately found this. Ramshorn?  

If yes, I can't decide if keep or not. It's in a fry tank and they are carnivores right?

I def don't want them in my main tank. I intentionally over feed my cories to breed them so population would get out of control. Maybe in my 10 gallon. What are some pros/cons to keeping over other snails? I already have mystery, nerites, and 3 trapdoor babies.  

What age can they breed at?  One choice is to grow it out then rehome.  I would put them in their own tank in this case so I can more easily limit feedings. 

So, keep and rehome or destroy?

Edited by Cinnebuns

Ramshorns are great. I have hundreds and hundreds of them scattered across all my tanks. I use them to exploit money out of puffer fish owners.

They can reproduce asexually so one will turn into many. They'll eat anything that's dead and they'll outcompete your other snails over time. They even outcompeted my bladder snails. They definitely keep your tank clean. I keep them in my fry tanks and they don't seem to eat living eggs. They're great for making greenwater and cycle tanks too.

IMG_20220212_195611080.jpg.28a83e2e4832ad6e67cbbd0a590ec60c.jpg

On 3/14/2022 at 10:55 PM, modified lung said:

Ramshorns are great. I have hundreds and hundreds of them scattered across all my tanks. I use them to exploit money out of puffer fish owners.

That's why I considered keeping them and likely in their own tank. 

On 3/14/2022 at 10:55 PM, modified lung said:

they'll outcompete your other snails over time.

That's the biggest reason I decided not to. I do enjoy snails but to a point and I already have 3 different types. Might be an idea in the future to keep a ramshorn tank but not just yet.