Java Fern

Can someone just osmosis all their plant info into my brain please. I'm so much better with learning animal stuff than plants. 

I don't think thus Java fern looks very healthy. When I got it, over a month ago, it was healthy. Other than deficiencies I can think of some possible factors. It was originally glued to a plastic "rock." It got loose and was floating around the tank for almost a week because I was sick and couldn't deal with it. Sometimes I would see it being knocked around by the filter out take. 2nd possible factor is I have had it sitting under the water lettuce so maybe it's not getting enough light. The location plan I had for it would be still under the water lettuce but I can try to change that if needed. It's currently tied to a plant weight awaiting its new placement. 

Currently dosing with easy green (possibly even too much so past couple days have cut back a little) and iron. Idk if this changes anything, but I did notice it is finally producing a plantlet (I think that's what it's called) so maybe it's not as unhealthy as I thought?

20220312_163738.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns

Java fern is a tough one. If yours was new from a LFS or mail order I’m going to say it’s going through the conversion process from air grown to submerged form. Most of the leaves might die back but it should grow new ones. I hear a lot of antidotal advice that it likes extra potassium so I add some when l add Easy Green. It does seem to help. 
Also, order more Java fern, even though it’s tricky it’s also hard to kill and it looks great. 
3915F5B3-869D-4722-8BBE-077944DA7270.jpeg.02b090323bcfbdb19283942263aebfe8.jpeg

• Like 1

I have lots and lots of Java both narrow leaf and windelov and I love this stuff. I run low tech and don't fertilize anything (in my world that's what fish poop is for haha jk) and so my java sometimes goes through some ugly phases but honestly it's not that often especially after it's settled in my tanks for a whle. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as @Patrick_G says it's pretty hard to kill. 🙃 That's why it's always listed under easy plants. 

On 3/12/2022 at 5:15 PM, Patrick_G said:

If yours was new from a LFS or mail order I’m going to say it’s going through the conversion process from air grown to submerged form.

It was from my LFS. I knew this was a thing but had forgotten. Ty I'm sure that's it!!

On 3/12/2022 at 5:15 PM, Patrick_G said:

Also, order more Java fern, even though it’s tricky it’s also hard to kill and it looks great. 

I'm thinking that may be something that happens. Financially there are always choices to make and right now I'm looking to get a couple nerites for the main tank and some more Java moss for the fry tank. Although I'm starting to think of trying a diff plant as I apparently suck with Java moss. Infact that makes me think of another post I should make. Check for it lol

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 9:12 PM, AndreaW said:

How long have you had the Java Fern?

I'm asking because mine look just like this and got mine 1/28 so I'm assuming they are just acclimating. I do have some new little plantlets forming on the edges and they are looking better. 

That's about when I got mine too so that helps a lot ty!!

• Like 1