Is this overstocked?

Wadikus

I have a 29 Gallon that's fully cycled and chugging along, I have a pretty good understanding of the tanks behaviors and parameters. 

About a month ago I had an infection run through the tank and pretty much wipe out all my dither fish. Orginal stocking was

- 2 x Cockatoo apisto
- 10 x Cardinals
- 8 x Blue Emperor Tetras
- 6 x Venezuelan Corys (aka the zoomers of Corys)
- 1 x Bristlenose Pleco (Mr. Raymond Labrosse is his name and it roughly translates to Mr Raymond TheBrush)

Being in Canada fish meds are not available and I think there was a bacterial infection, which led to stess which led to ICH. 

I should mention after this point i found a vet in Ontario that does telemedicine and will prescribe meds equivalent to US meds (so for any Canadians this may help). I was able thanks to them to get my hands on some Metronidozale and Prazi, I ran a 3 week treatment and the fish look healthy and I'm gearing up to restock the tank. Ultimately I was able to save the following and this is my current stocking:

1 x Male apisto
6 x corys
1 x Raymond Labrosse

What I'd like to add:
1 x Female apisto
8 x Black Phantom tetra
10 x rummys

Total Stocking:
2 x Apisto Cockatoo
8 x  Black Phantom tetras
10 x Rummy 
6 x Venezuelan Corys
1 x Bristlenose

is this overstocked? and beyond that would it be possible to throw in some diamond tetras ( i know this would be pushing it )

I can't find the specific one I used, but you can find aquarium stocking calculators online where you put in your tank info, filtration and stock of fish and it will calculate based on that. 

Filtration is going to pay a part in your stocking as well as planting and size/type of fish (I don't think the calculator I used took live plants into account).

I would look up a couple different ones and see where you compare.

That stocking should be fine as long as you keep an eye on your water parameters and tank maintenance. 

I have a similar size tank that is well planted with the following stocking 

11 black phantom tetra 

11 cardinal tetra 

2 gourami 

12 panda corydora's 

6 Otocinclus 

10-12 Amano shrimp 

I don't do water changes only top ups, but every tank is different. It really depends on the amount of work you want to put in. 

• Like 2

As long as tank parameters stay stable and nitrites and amonia stay at 0, you should be fine. The more the plants, the more the bioload you can take.

I too am canadian so I understand the pain of dealing with an outbreak and not having any meds. I have had terrible luck when treating with salt as well. I live in Manitoba, here I'm able to find melafix, pimafix and API Super Ich Cure at big brand pet stores. I've seen them at petsmart, and petvalu.

I've used the super ich cure to treat a ich outbreak and I was very happy with the results. In under a week everyone was fine.

On 3/11/2022 at 3:19 PM, FrozenFins said:

As long as tank parameters stay stable and nitrites and amonia stay at 0, you should be fine. The more the plants, the more the bioload you can take.

I too am canadian so I understand the pain of dealing with an outbreak and not having any meds. I have had terrible luck when treating with salt as well. I live in Manitoba, here I'm able to find melafix, pimafix and API Super Ich Cure at big brand pet stores. I've seen them at petsmart, and petvalu.

I've used the super ich cure to treat a ich outbreak and I was very happy with the results. In under a week everyone was fine.

Just an FYI that vet that I used only prescribes to Ontario addresses and I live in QC, however they were able to prescribe me the meds and use my friends address in Ontario and then he shipped them to me. You're also allowed to buy as much of it as you want once you are prescribed. So i bought 3 x times my needed amount. So if you know someone in ontario you can get your hands on it and stock up for the future.

They will even prescribe you the meds if you're just looking to set up a quarantine protocol.

worth looking into.

Edited by Wadikus
  • Like 1