Fish TB? When to break down tank?

Nicole

I had a guppy that developed a bent spine and apparently died. I have a heavily planted tank, so it is sometimes hard to find a body. Then I noticed another fish had died. I saw its remains, but by the time I got off work to remove them, they were gone, probably eaten by the others as well as my shrimp and snails. Now a White Cloud Mountain minnow is showing the same signs, curved spine, wasting, loss of color. I am now pretty sure this is fish tuberculosis, and I am a little freaked out to work in the tank. I’m heartbroken, because it has taken me years to get this tank in beautiful shape with thriving plants and very little algae, but do you think this means I have to take the tank down. Is it even worth the risk to my health to set it all up again? I just don’t know.

Edited by Nicole

Oh, ok, you’re talking regular water test. I test weekly, sometimes more with the Aquarium Co-Op test strips.

50 ppm Nitrate

0 Nitrite

GH 200 PPM

KH 40

PH 7.0

0 Chlorine

I do a 50% water change weekly, and I’m due for one. I like to keep the Nitrates about 40-50.

The tank has been up and running for several years in its current state. The only new thing is that about 4 months ago, I removed an overgrown Amazon Sword and put in some new driftwood that I covered with Christmas Moss.

Thanks for any advice,

Nicole

I did have a spike about 7 days ago, so I did a big water change and backed off on how much Easy Green and iron I was dosing. I noticed an increase in algae around the time of the spike too. Maybe it just go too high for too long. I didn’t realize anything but TB could cause the curved spine, but wow if nitrates are the only issue, that would be amazing. Totally fixable. Thank you so much.

On 3/11/2022 at 1:36 AM, Nicole said:

I did have a spike about 7 days ago, so I did a big water change and backed off on how much Easy Green and iron I was dosing. I noticed an increase in algae around the time of the spike too. Maybe it just go too high for too long. I didn’t realize anything but TB could cause the curved spine, but wow if nitrates are the only issue, that would be amazing. Totally fixable. Thank you so much.

I would try and get your nitrates lower than 40ppm you can also get bent spine's in guppies due to lack of minerals and scoliosis due to bad genetics your kH is on the low side for guppies they like 70-140ppm I would add some crushed coral to gradually increase your kH and monitor them for now 

Edited by Colu

Yep, you are totally right about the KH. I have added crushed coral but it doesn’t seem the last long. I also add a large wonder shell and replace it when it runs out. The thing about our water here is that according to the LFS, it’s rock hard with lots of magnesium, but it’s actually low on calcium.

Even if it was TB, it seems like it’s really had to get from changing the water. I’ve been keeping fish for years without any issues. But just to be extra careful, I’ll wear gloves until I stop losing fish. Thank you so much!

On 3/11/2022 at 1:53 AM, Nicole said:

Yep, you are totally right about the KH. I have added crushed coral but it doesn’t seem the last long. I also add a large wonder shell and replace it when it runs out. The thing about our water here is that according to the LFS, it’s rock hard with lots of magnesium, but it’s actually low on calcium.

I usually add a media bag to my filter with crushed coral you do have to top it up as it desolves over time you can also so mix it into your substrate as well to help raise your kH

After a 50% water change, my nitrates are down to 10 ppm.

My other parameters are the same.

0 Nitrite

GH 200 PPM

KH 40

PH 7.0

0 Chlorine

I see two more fish who know appear to be dying. Just to be on the safe side, I checked, and I’m not gassing the fish with my CO2. Im doing two drops per second, which is the lowest I can go and still have my drop checker fluid turn green about two hours after the lights come on.

Hopefully these are the last two fish I lose.

I’ll be backing down my fertilizer and iron this week to keep the nitrates at about 20 ppm max and see how the rest of the fish do.

Nicole

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, the good news is that my fish have stopped dying, which is the most important thing. But now that I’ve back off on the Easy Green to keep my nitrates at 20 or less, I think algae is attacking my Christmas moss. It’s hard to see in these photos, but I’m guessing this grayish stuff is algae. It’s just a new kind I haven’t experience before.91C8F398-DA4F-47EC-A577-8DB058256396.jpeg.e7c5d37ce520e8db1a3ce86c5cff6804.jpegAEE07BFE-2E93-4A35-8BA8-A9203163AEE6.jpeg.3f5d29bfe4773d5833aaeb87c08fe2f5.jpeg