Amano Shrimp and Betta?

Kathy F

I'm shuffling fish around.    I have 2 endlers and one amano shrimp in a 5 gallon.   I decided I don't like the look and I'm shuffling the endlers into a 10 gallon with 10 other endlers (all 12 are male).    I just think they will look better swimming as a group then 2 solo in a 5 gallon, it looks kind of sad IMO.  I have a koi galaxy betta coming to go in the 5 gallon.   The amano shrimp is a sneaky little bugger (I have had him for a month and have only seen him once or twice) and I'm not 100% confident I will be able to catch him given the amount of coverage and hiding places.   If I can't find the little beast how bad would it be to leave the amano shrimp with the betta?   If I have to I can set up a spare 10 gallon hospital tank to house the betta until I can finally find the shrimp.   Any tips on how to flush out a lone amano shrimp?   

• Like 1

I’ve seen some Bettas leave slightly larger shrimp alone. But as a general rule, the fish gets too curious and nips it to death.

Heres a female my son kept with a grass / crystal shrimp in a 5.5 gal awhile. It worked… but I’d say it was out of the ordinary…

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 3/10/2022 at 6:55 AM, Fish Folk said:

I’ve seen some Bettas leave slightly larger shrimp alone. But as a general rule, the fish gets too curious and nips it to death.

Heres a female my son kept with a grass / crystal shrimp in a 5.5 gal awhile. It worked… but I’d say it was out of the ordinary…

Okay thanks, I decided to do a deep clean of the 5 gallon until I irritated the amano shrimp into coming out of hiding.   I was down to 25% level and was starting to believe A) this wasn't going to work or B) it had died or escaped when suddenly I saw it swimming around because I had disturbed its hiding place. I was able to snag him at that point and now I have one less tank I have to clean this weekend.  Mr Amano is now safe with the endlers in the 10 gallon.    Just thought I would post my solution in case someone comes by wanting to know the same thing about flushing out a well hidden amano shrimp.  

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 2:24 PM, Kathy F said:

Okay thanks, I decided to do a deep clean of the 5 gallon until I irritated the amano shrimp into coming out of hiding.   I was down to 25% level and was starting to believe A) this wasn't going to work or B) it had died or escaped when suddenly I saw it swimming around because I had disturbed its hiding place. I was able to snag him at that point and now I have one less tank I have to clean this weekend.  Mr Amano is now safe with the endlers in the 10 gallon.    Just thought I would post my solution in case someone comes by wanting to know the same thing about flushing out a well hidden amano shrimp.  

They are very good at hiding, and can live 7 to 10 years. I had one betta who would feistily "defend" her amano shrimp every time I cleaned the tank. She would attack my hand if I got in the same quadrant as her shrimp, or her snail. Her shrimp would also take turns riding on the snail, so her tank was a 3 gallon circus. 

I had another who would inquisitively and gently investigate the amano shrimp, and the shrimp would ride the fish.

Then there was the betta who waited until the lights went out to eat.

So, 2 out of 3 it worked, but when it doesn't, it really, really doesn't.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2022 at 9:33 PM, Torrey said:

They are very good at hiding, and can live 7 to 10 years. I had one betta who would feistily "defend" her amano shrimp every time I cleaned the tank. She would attack my hand if I got in the same quadrant as her shrimp, or her snail. Her shrimp would also take turns riding on the snail, so her tank was a 3 gallon circus. 

I had another who would inquisitively and gently investigate the amano shrimp, and the shrimp would ride the fish.

Then there was the betta who waited until the lights went out to eat.

So, 2 out of 3 it worked, but when it doesn't, it really, really doesn't.

I picked this betta because he was the most active one on Aqua Huna's livestream.   I have had him less then 24 hours and he is just as hyper here as he was on the live stream.   I don't have any proof of aggression, and he seems to ignore the nerite snail so it might have been okay.