Type of Snail for Backup Tank?

colo3000

Hey guys,

I'm a college student and will be moving back home for the summer to take part in an internship near my parents' house. I will also be needing to move my 29 gallon tank and tank inhabitants down there as well. I want to have a smaller tank established there beforehand, just so that I have somewhere to move my fish while the 29 gallon is being moved and setup, and if there are unforeseen issues with the 29 gallon (really hoping it goes smoothly). Next week I will be visiting my parents' house and setting up a 10 gallon tank there, so I can give it a couple months to establish before the summer. I don't want to put any fish in it because I don't want my parents to have to manage it much. I'd like to introduce some snails to it to keep some sort of bioload going in it (plus it's just a bummer to have a tank running with nothing in it to look at). All that to say, what type of snails should I add to the tank?

Edited by colo3000

I use bladder snails to cycle tanks. They infest waste water treatment plants so only need a bit of food every few days and can tolerate poor water quality so require very little maintaining. I throw some plants and bladders in and let the tank do it’s thing. I don’t even worry about moderately high nitrates. They don’t seem to care. 

• Like 1