A Question for Roy

@Seattle_Aquarist

So something you've said a few times has my wheels spinning. You mention you keep your CO2 running 24 hours a day. Are you pushing to 30ppm and you have found night time CO2 production isn't too much to gass the fish? Or do you not push that high and night time CO2 never causes any problems?

It seems the standard is turn CO2 on a few hours before lights on and a hour before lights off, yet you break from this consensus while also using a siesta. Usually, pushing CO2 eliminates a need for a siesta. What benefits do you find using a siesta and running CO2?

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 2:42 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

@Seattle_Aquarist

So something you've said a few times has my wheels spinning. You mention you keep your CO2 running 24 hours a day. Are you pushing to 30ppm and you have found night time CO2 production isn't too much to gass the fish? Or do you not push that high and night time CO2 never causes any problems?

It seems the standard is turn CO2 on a few hours before lights on and a hour before lights off, yet you break from this consensus while also using a siesta. Usually, pushing CO2 eliminates a need for a siesta. What benefits do you find using a siesta and running CO2?

Yes, I run my CO2 24/7/365 and yes I use more CO2 that way verses using a solenoid and shutting it down just before lights out and turning it on a couple of hours before lights on but I do not have any pH swings and my CO2 level remains constant.  I don't run my tanks at 30 ppm which is about the maximum without causing distress to some fish species but I do run about 20 ppm based upon the 4.0 dKH test solution and using the chart below.  I do run an air pump with airstones when the lights go out to increase gas exchange at the surface which insures I don't "gas" my fish and the air stone also reduces the surface protein film buildup. 

I don't feel it is necessary to run my tanks at "top speed" because when I make a small error in dosing or if I miss a dose or am late on a water change I don't want the whole system to go bonkers.  By supplementing my tanks with about 19 ppm CO2 I still get good growth, but I don't have to trim stem plants every week and my fish are safe. 

I know that solenoids are better these days than they were 14 years ago when I started but it used to be that when they failed they failed in the 'closed' position which allowed CO2 to run 24/7 and if a pH probe was part of the system they fish were usually dead by the time the problem was found.  -Roy

1484608597_CO2DropCheckerColorChartlg.JPG.a02fc3cb9c0aabffe9da190e00837e25.JPG

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 3:06 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Thank you!

How does a siesta play into things? Does it help keep the tank up at 20ppm?

I also do not run my Fluval 3.0 at high output, no more about 70% or so and my PAR levels are usually in the 65 - 80 PAR range depending upon the tank.  I don't really see a decrease in my CO2 level from light on until lights off so I am not trying to recover my CO2 level back to my nominal 20 ppm.  I run a split period because if I run from the time I get up 6:00 am until I go to bed 10:00 pm I end up with increased algae build up, and faster plant growth which just means more maintenance for me.  I am usually in my home office from 9:00 until 11:00 and after dinner so that is when I run my lights.  -Roy 1396247755_2022-02-1630GallonDiscus(3)AdjSnSm.jpg.db94318505e59ac566679448b1d8b9d6.jpg

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist
  • Like 4