Fin rot or fin loss

Natural

Newbie: I need determining if this is fin rot or tearing. Attached are new and now pics.

I've had the tank setup for 3 weeks and all the parameters are where they should be based on the Co-op's multi-test strips. I have tested the water several times and keeping up on water evaporation. I have a sponge filter (also Co-op) and heater and the temperature is where it should be.

I had a so-called silk plant and a couple of betta hammocks (along with a live plant and moss) in the tank. I suspect the fake items may be the culprits. I removed the plant and rounded the edges of the hammocks to make them smooth.  Hi LOVES the hammocks.

He is eating. He is swimming, but I haven't had him long enough to know what is normal for him. He is the only fish in the tank (3 gallon). Yes, I know...5 gallon is preferable, but my landlord limits to 3 gallons...and I bought the elongated tank at the Co-op. It seems spacious enough.

I have read that treating a healthy fish with medication is bad. I ordered Stress Coat, but I hoping someone can tell me if I should treat with antibiotics?

Thank you.

betta fins rot or loss.jpeg

Bob the Betta.jpg

From The previously black edges you're able to tell that it's not fin rot. Does he have any tank mates, if so, what species? It looks like he has been a victim of fin nipping. How old is he? 

High Nitrite and Nitrate can (in my experience) cause physical damage to a fish, live plants can help to reduce those.

High lighting can also be problematic.

Best wishes

It's also good to have some way to measure ammonia, as the multi-test strips don't measure that. They do have a dedicated ammonia strip, if you wanted to buy those. On a mature tank, I think it is less of a possibility, but given yours is a new tank, you can experience bumps in the cycle as it settles in.