Bbs breeding

JMiller2020

I can't seem to get the last bit of info I need. I hatch bs all the time and sometimes grow them out. I want to havd them reproduce . All videos just show growing them out.  Has any1 bred them? Do they just lay eggs and they hatch on their own or do u have to take them out? 

I really didn’t know but you made me curious so I looked it up and figured while I was there I would share it. I pulled this straight out of this from Wikipedia …so I read this as if they are happy good o2 and salinity not above 150 you need to do nothing  incorrect conditions you would need to collect the cysted eggs   hope that helps  if not it is a fun read  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brine_shrimp#Reproduction

Ecology and behaviorEdit

Brine shrimp can tolerate any levels of salinity from 25 to 250‰ (25–250 g/L),[9] with an optimal range of 60‰–100‰,[9]and occupy the ecological niche that can protect them from predators.[10] Physiologically, optimal levels of salinity are about 30–35‰, but due to predators at these salt levels, brine shrimp seldom occur in natural habitats at salinities of less than 60–80‰. Locomotion is achieved by the rhythmic beating of the appendages acting in pairs. Respiration occurs on the surface of the legs through fibrous, feather-like plates (lamellar epipodites)[7]

Brine_shrimp_cyst.jpg
An Artemia cyst

ReproductionEdit

Males differ from females by having the second antennae markedly enlarged, and modified into clasping organs used in mating.[11] Adult female brine shrimp ovulate approximately every 140 hours. In favourable conditions, the female brine shrimp can produce eggs that almost immediately hatch. While in extreme conditions, such as low oxygen level or salinity above 150‰, female brine shrimp produce eggs with a chorion coating which has a brown colour. These eggs, also known as cysts, are metabolically inactive and can remain in total stasis for two years while in dry oxygen-free conditions, even at temperatures below freezing. This characteristic is called cryptobiosis, meaning "hidden life". While in cryptobiosis, brine shrimp eggs can survive temperatures of liquid air (−190 °C or −310 °F) and a small percentage can survive above boiling temperature (105 °C or 221 °F) for up to two hours.[10] Once placed in briny (salt) water, the eggs hatch within a few hours. The nauplius larvae are less than 0.4 mm in length when they first hatch. 

ParthenogenesisEdit

220px-Central_fusion_and_terminal_fusion
The effects of central fusion and terminal fusion on heterozygosity

Parthenogenesis is a natural form of reproduction in which growth and development of embryos occur without fertilisation. Thelytoky is a particular form of parthenogenesis in which the development of a female individual occurs from an unfertilised egg. Automixis is a form of thelytoky, but there are different kinds of automixis. The kind of automixis relevant here is one in which two haploid products from the same meiosis combine to form a diploid zygote.

Diploid Artemia parthenogenetica reproduce by automictic parthenogenesis with central fusion (see diagram) and low but nonzero recombination.[12] Central fusion of two of the haploid products of meiosis (see diagram) tends to maintain heterozygosity in transmission of the genome from mother to offspring, and to minimise inbreeding depression. Low crossover recombination during meiosis likely restrains the transition from heterozygosity to homozygosity over successive generations

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

They lay eggs that hatch on their own without needing any intervention. If the adults are healthy and conditions are good, they almost give live birth instead of produce the cyst covering over their eggs. You'll either suddenly see new freshly hatched brine shrimp swimming around or cysts sticking to gunk on the bottom or edge of the container at the surface. I assume the cysts hatch eventually but I've never bothered to collect them.

• Like 3