Quarentine Tank

Rogue

OK, So, I rescued an Angel and 2 Glow fish from one of my tenants who moved out. They were in a 10 gallon tank that had no heater or filter and had evaporated at least 5 gallons. Took them home, cleaned up the tank, refilled, added bacteria and salt and put them back in. I've been away from the hobby for about 17 years but, I kept all my tanks and "stuff". Pulled out a 55 gallon and filled, decorate, bacteria, salt and let it cycle for about a week then put the fish in. About three weeks later I bought about 25 fish to put in with the three, I set up the 10 gallon as a quarantine/med tank and put them in. ( I noticed ick on 2 of the new fish) That was today. Now I just realized I never medicated the original 3. Though they are not showing any bad signs (it's only been 3 weeks. I don't know why I didn't originally medicate them but, I didn't. So, my question. Should I pull the original three and put them in the quarantine tank with the others (pretty full tank)? Or, put them all in the 55 gal. and treat that tank? Or Wait my 4 weeks with the ones in quarantine then swap them to the 55 gal. and put the 3 in the treated 10 gallon for a few weeks? Or, just not worry about the original 3 (considering I'm already contemplating, this may not be an option)?

Thanks in advance.

Kyle

I wouldnt put the "old" fish in with the new especially if you have an active ich outbreak I would just continue to med the 10 gallon. If the "old" fish look ok and were in that tank for a long time they are probably fine the only thing I might do with them is de-worm at some point but you could do that with all the fish together after the new ones clear.

My initial comment from what you have posted is 'slow down' you are moving very fast with these new tank setups. I understand and appreciate a 55 tank looks empty with only a few fish. 3 weeks to cycle is in my opinion, is just barely enough time for the tank to get cycled, then to immediately introduce 25 more fish.... If they are small like neons, this may be okay in a 55.

I agree with Sleepy, medicate the sick ones by themselves. Once you get the few sick fish nursed back to health and introduced back to the tank, wait 1 more month before introducing any new fish. In the mean time, watch the others to make sure ich is not affecting the other fish.

Slow down though and let the tank 'mature' or 'season' slowly. This is more stable on the system and easier on the fish as there is time to get used to the 'new situation' before another big change is made. Yes, introducing new fish is a big change in my book.

I am glad you were able to rescue the fish and are having fun restarting a passion you have had in the past.

Good Luck! 

• Like 1