Guppy fry and filter flow

Cinnebuns

I actually increase my flow in my guppy tanks as they start to grow up. Having a good current is important for muscle and bone development. The larger their final tail is, the more flow they get periodically through the day as they're growing up. If they don't have enough flow to develop their strength, they don't thrive in adulthood.

I've bought fish from breeders that grow their fry out in still tubs. I have issues with the males not being strong swimmers and mild drooping of tails. Their children never have this problem because I raise them out and give them exercise. Sure, without flow they will grow faster, same with higher temperatures. But ultimately it's not the best conditions for their health long term. I have turned to a strong current, temp is 75-77 and moderate feeding after 1 month old.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 12:14 PM, Minanora said:

I actually increase my flow in my guppy tanks as they start to grow up. Having a good current is important for muscle and bone development. The larger their final tail is, the more flow they get periodically through the day as they're growing up. If they don't have enough flow to develop their strength, they don't thrive in adulthood.

I've bought fish from breeders that grow their fry out in still tubs. I have issues with the males not being strong swimmers and mild drooping of tails. Their children never have this problem because I raise them out and give them exercise. Sure, without flow they will grow faster, same with higher temperatures. But ultimately it's not the best conditions for their health long term. I have turned to a strong current, temp is 75-77 and moderate feeding after 1 month old.

Woke up ORD 😍. I have found the same to hold true. Plus I love watching them test themselves in the strongest current areas. It is so cute. 🥰

• Love 1

On 3/4/2022 at 4:16 AM, Guppysnail said:

Woke up ORD 😍. I have found the same to hold true. Plus I love watching them test themselves in the strongest current areas. It is so cute. 🥰

It is adorable.

Something to note if you are significantly increasing the current. You will need to feed more. With exercise like that they get very hungry. And I mean VERY hungry. I was shocked at how much more they eat after installing the power head. I thought they were pigs before, now they really are eating me out of house and home! 😂

• Like 2

On 3/4/2022 at 10:29 AM, Minanora said:

It is adorable.

Something to note if you are significantly increasing the current. You will need to feed more. With exercise like that they get very hungry. And I mean VERY hungry. I was shocked at how much more they eat after installing the power head. I thought they were pigs before, now they really are eating me out of house and home! 😂

I noticed this. I watch bellies in the youngest and time feedings to their reduced tummy size (how’s that for scientific 🤣).  The tank I originally tried turning up my output was ready almost twice as fast as the one with baffled flow. When I added the powerhead in the 29 those big full fry bellies disappear crazy fast. 

• Love 1

On 3/4/2022 at 9:29 AM, Minanora said:

Ok that brings up another question I found. How can I tell if I'm feeding enough/too much?  They are so tiny I can't tell. 

Well with tiny babies, their tummies get round like they look like they're pregnant or about to pop from the underside. The older fry do the same thing but it's not as apparent as the babies. Their tummies will be the color of the food you feed them.

I feed my tiny babies (up until about a month old) a small amount, usually 3 times a day. Sometimes only twice, sometimes only once. But I feed them a little, look at their tummies to see if they're all full and will feed them a tiny bit more if they need it. Depends on how many fry there are too. If there's only 12, it's a very small amount.