10 gallon set up

LilOne

I have a 10 gallon black glass aquarium.  I just ordered some dragon stone to go in it.  now I want a plant that will attach to the stone.  I would appreciate all suggestions.  I also have a female half moon tail betta in it and plan to add some community fish to it.  I am adding a few neon tetras and ember tetras.  I would like to add a couple of balloon belly mollies,  I plan to get 1 snail for algea and a few cory cats to clean the bottom.  Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

LilOne

Java fern (windelov is my favorite) or anubias attach great to most things. That sounds like a lot of fish for a 10 gallon. Some of the ones you selected do best in groups of 6 or more. Add slow and you may find a few more of one and not as many different ones will be more harmonious. Many betta become grumpy with lots of roommates in a small area. Good luck looking forward to seeing pictures!

• Love 1

thank you.  the ember tetras stay under an inch long so maybe 6 of those and the balloon bellies at a later date if I see the rest are doing well.  I will do the narite snail.  and cories for algea and bottom cleaning.  the panda cories would they do well just a group of 2 or 3 or is there any cory that would do well in just a small group or another type that would do well with a betta and clean the bottom?

Some betta get along with shrimp. Mine did.  For that size tank I think shrimp and a nerite would be an ideal place to start as friends for your betta. Many bettas depending on personality don’t care for very active roommates. No critter eats poop or replaces you manually cleaning up the substrate. 

• Like 1

oh I don't expect to not have to manually clean.  that is a given.  I am just trying to work out the best scape possible for with my betta as my focal point (center piece).  I have been researching and watching videos and neons and embers seem to be top to go in with bettas from the ones I have watched.  I like the embers and they stay small.  The ones I have seen suggested 10 embers in with the betta in a 10 gallon, a group of corys or octos for the bottom and a narite snail for the algea.  I think more along the line of 5-6 embers would be enough schooling fish to start the tank which I will most likely get the bottom feeders and narite first then add others later if I see it maybe possible.  I don't want to over whelm her either.

Got it. I had some neon tetras shrimp and mystery snails with my betta in a 20 high. He was great. I added two juvenile albino Cory so still smallish (LFS only had 1 then had 1 more was waiting for more). He got testy and mopey then started picking on my snails and Cory. I gave my Cory to my niece and he went back to his usual chilled out self. Oddly my nieces betta in a 20 high got along with them. 

yeah I plan once I get my health back under control and get more room to get a 20 gallon to move her and her group to 29 gallon tops.  I believe that is biggest I will be capable of taking care of.  I also want guppies or angels so I will then turn the 10 into a guppy tank or a tank for 2 angels And see how that does.

• Like 1

I would also suggest a 20 gallon, heavily planted, at the  least for that amount of fish. I have a Betta in a 10 gallon and added some Pandas but the Betta was territorial and I didn't like seeing them stressed or the Betta, so I moved them to a large community tank with other Cories (It was my backup plan from the beginning). I've added two Nerite snails and since they are slow moving, he is curious and watches them, but he doesn't flare at them so there's no stress. I think he is perplexed why some rocks in his tank move. They do poop a lot, so I don't know that I would keep them together with Cories though. My water flow for my Betta is lower so all the Nerite poop sits at the bottom and I have to do a little surface vacuuming often.

Most tetras move fast enough they won't get tagged by the Betta (also depends on if you get a long-finned or Plakat), but Cories can easily be a target. Shrimp are also often bite-sized snacks for Bettas (you would be impressed with how big a shrimp some can fit in their mouths). Ultimately, it depends on your Betta's temperament and there's no way to know in advance if he/she is going to tolerate tank mates. You are better off adding anything else to the tank before the Betta so he doesn't become king of his domain first.

Good luck on your setup! I look forward to seeing it come together. Bettas are a fun fish with a lot of personality!

• Like 2

My Betta is female.  And they will eventually be going to a larger tank.  But at this point, I can only handle a 10 gallon.  Hense why I will be adding a little at a time.  I will post pics once set up is further along.  I am eager for my dragon stone to get here.  Then just need a piece of driftwood and some moss.

• Love 1

Welcome to the community! I think that the insight @Guppysnailprovided is excellent indeed. If you can only manage a 10g, especially if your limitations are health related, lightly stocking will really give you the most joy. In my opinion. The less work you have to do, less frequently (especially as plants establish) the easier it is to add more and upgrade when you're ready.

Ember tetras are lovely, especially when accenting a Betta. Just take your time, get the plants in, and get yourself set up for success by monitoring your parameters as you add and sustain more fish. 🙂

Edited by Minanora
THEN A TYPO. I can't win.
  • Like 1