High PH, Low KH & GH

Drewski

Hi all,

New to the forum so thanks for having me. Our new home came with a water softening system installed and I'm running up against a wall on water quality. Out of the tap, I am getting readings of PH 7.6-7.8, KH 40, and GH 30. Our lfs has suggested that we utilize Seachem Discuss Buffer. My understanding is that this product will drive down PH, but KH along with it? Is this a step in the wrong direction?

Is there a good way to lower our PH and get KH and GH up? For reference, we have a small 10 gallon tank (non planted) with two honey gourami and small catfish (sorry cannot remember exactly). 

Thanks for your guidance, I look forward to learning much!

Someone might have to correct me but I think with the low KH your ph will naturally get lower. It’ll probably get lower just by sitting and off gassing overnight. To raise the GH but keep the PH low you can try Seachem Equlibrium. 

What are your target parameters and what type of livestock are you adding? 

Thanks for all of the responses thus far. To answer a few questions, we are not looking to add any additional fish at this point. We are however wanting to upgrade to a 30 or 40 gallon tank in the near future, but want to have our water situation fully understood and worked out. I would say that for now we're shooting fot water conditions right down the middle spec wise as it appears to appease the most fish species. 

We will continue with the Discus Buffer until the PH drops and then add in the equalibrium. I believe that I read that the PH needs to come down prior KH going up or PH adjustment becomes difficult. I will also look into the home's water system.

Please keep the comments and suggestions coming.

KH is just a measure of carbonates and bicarbonates in the water and act to "buffer" pH. Basically, KH will hold a range of pH's or return a pH back into a range in relation to KH.

If KH rises, pH should rise, if KH is lowered then pH should lower.

If there's no KH, then the pH is free to move in any direction from other sources of acids or bases. 

If you sample water from a spigot, this should be pre softener water and may solve your lower GH and alleviate adding calcium and magnesium (GH).