Floating plants

• Administrators

I personally really love this one! Dwarf water lettuce I think is what it's called. Doesn't seem to grow nearly as quickly nor as dense as something like duckweed which can easily get out of control. It's really manageable and my betta loves to hang out in its long roots

Dwarf Water Lettuce 🙂20201012_192735.jpg.d084ea1a66b71719a03b6ae282438980.jpg

I would avoid the regular small duckweed. It gets everywhere and easily clogs up the entire surface of your aquarium. Some feeding rings might help with this, and there will always be a little open bit over your sponge filter, but it gets all over nets, arms, and everything. You can scoop it out every few days and still have tons left. My bladder snails and shrimp love it though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Ellsworth said:

I would avoid the regular small duckweed. It gets everywhere and easily clogs up the entire surface of your aquarium. Some feeding rings might help with this, and there will always be a little open bit over your sponge filter, but it gets all over nets, arms, and everything. You can scoop it out every few days and still have tons left. My bladder snails and shrimp love it though.

I don't currently have the regular duckweed but I was able to get past most of the annoyance by using an afro pick and plant corrals to manage it. It makes an amazing food for goldfish which is why I had it previously and I highly recommend it to anyone who is in a legal state.

• Like 1

I think you have conflicting requirements. Floating plants which allow light to enter . . . .

I have dwarf water lettuce in my tank, and can confirm that it does grow like a weed. However, because it is so prolific and has broad leaves, it does block light.

I have some Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus which is so tall it is growing across half of the top of the tank. Even though it is a more "open" structure, it to creates shadows.]

I don't think your requirements will be met unless you manage what floating plants you do have very well. You can have them, just understand what it means to the lower tears of your tank.

I'm planning on getting some red root for my new tank and will be managing it heavily so that the carpeting plants I'm planning on, won't get shadowed out.

Have fun with your new tank!

• Like 1