Betta with bilateral popeye

Connor2

I have a betta with bilateral pop-eye and was hoping to be able to add aquarium salt to her aquarium but I have ghost shrimp in the tank with her.  Will the aquarium salt hurt the ghost shrimp if I add it?  Also if it doesn’t how much aquarium salt should I add.  The salt would be temporary until my betta’s pop-eye gets better.

• Thanks 1

When it's bilateral it's usually caused by a bacterial infection I would treat with kanaplex in food and aquarium 1table spoon for 3gallons I seem to remember reading that some types of ghost shrimp are found in brackish water I don't think the salt will be a problem I would check your water parameters just incase something off  Bettas do a lot  better at 80F at lower temperatures they more prone to health problems if your keeping him at a low temperature or poor water quality that will effect the immune system leading to poor health and bacteria infection 

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2022 at 7:26 PM, Colu said:

When it's bilateral it's usually caused by a bacterial infection I would treat with kanaplex in food and aquarium 1table spoon for 3gallons I seem to remember reading that some types of ghost shrimp are found in brackish water I don't think the salt will be a problem I would check your water parameters just incase something off  Bettas do a lot  better at 80F at lower temperatures they more prone to health problems if your keeping him at a low temperature or poor water quality that will effect the immune system leading to poor health and bacteria infection 

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

I’m really stupid and got bilateral mixed up with unilateral pop-eye.  From what it looks like one of her eyes is cloudy and swollen.

When you have unilateral Popeye and cloudy eye it usually caused by an injury or poor water quality or both  you can keep treating with aquarium salt make sure there's no ammonia or nitrites present as this will slow down the healing process if you notice no improvement in 5-7 days of treating with salt then I would treat with the kanaplex in food you can also do Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes 2-3 times a day Epsom can help reduce the swelling

On 2/19/2022 at 7:36 PM, Colu said:

When you have unilateral Popeye and cloudy eye it usually caused by an injury or poor water quality or both  you can keep treating with aquarium salt make sure there's no ammonia or nitrites present as this will slow down the healing process if you notice no improvement in 5-7 days of treating with salt then I would treat with the kanaplex in food you can also do Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes 2-3 times a day Epsom can help reduce the swelling

How often should I put salt in the tank?