Frozen bloodworms

Mac747

I did see that video, and coincidentally I had just lost an apisto to an illness after feeding bloodworms. One fish isn't definitive--another in the tank definitely ate some with no issues--but I have ceased feeding frozen bloodworms to my apistos, just in case. 

So, I'd also like to hear more opinions. 

• 1 year later...

I just saw this video today. I have a tank with two Apistogramma cacatuoides that gets frozen bloodworms now and then, always without issue up until this week, when the male (but not the female) starting seeming not himself. I have a different pair in a community tank with, among other fishes, Corydoras sterbai. So it's easy enough to play it safe and no longer feed frozen bloodworms to the first tank, but I'd still like to feed them to the cories. Mostly, though, I'd like this community's opinion on frozen bloodworms, especially for cichlids.

I've been feeding Omega One Frozen Bloodworms, but was previously using San Francisco Bay brand, seemingly without incident.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qdTmKuezd6c&pp=ygUja2VlcGluZ2Zpc2hzaW1wbGUgZnJvemVuIGJsb29kd29ybXM%3D

My opinion on bloodworms…I don’t use them anymore. 

I used to occasionally use them. The last 2 times I fed them I lost one panda Cory each time. Looking online many folks experience issues when feeding them. Many never have issues. It’s not worth the risk to me. 
They do not contain a lot of actual nutritional value. They are fly larvae and often fed horrible from what I read. 
I much prefer white worms and grindle worms. They are super easy cultures, I never run out and I get to gut load them with the nutrition I want in my fish. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2023 at 3:04 PM, Guppysnail said:

My opinion on bloodworms…I don’t use them anymore. 

I used to occasionally use them. The last 2 times I fed them I lost one panda Cory each time. Looking online many folks experience issues when feeding them. Many never have issues. It’s not worth the risk to me. 
They do not contain a lot of actual nutritional value. They are fly larvae and often fed horrible from what I read. 
I much prefer white worms and grindle worms. They are super easy cultures, I never run out and I get to gut load them with the nutrition I want in my fish. 

I'd love to set up grindal or white worm cultures, but I am having trouble selling the idea of worm cultures to the rest of my family, and they've been very supportive of so much else in my pursuit of this hobby that I may have to give them this one.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 4:49 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I'd love to set up grindal or white worm cultures, but I am having trouble selling the idea of worm cultures to the rest of my family, and they've been very supportive of so much else in my pursuit of this hobby that I may have to give them this one.

Mine live in the basement and are room temperature stable. If you ever change your mind/ convince the family let me know and I’ll get you set up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1