Bacterial bloom?

FSH i

New to forums! Sorry, just curious. Going through bacterial bloom. 7mo old tank. Turning or transitioning to blue/green slime algae. 3.5gal one Fem Betta one Nerite snail. Two moderate patches of Java moss, 1 banana plant. Using HOB filter with deepish gravel, sand, and Amazonia substrate. Having a hard time maintaining any nitrates after 1-2 days.  Question is;  should I stop liquid ferts until bacterial bloom is cleared? Obviously I'm trying to grow a certain kind of bacteria in the tank, but am I just feeding or maintaining the kind I don't with the ferts? Is the bacterial bloom die off feeding the algae? Just a bit curious where I'm at in the process of dialing in the cycle to be more stable. Have had huge wild swings of issues, along with me not letting things settle (since remedied) constantly trying to mitigate what going on in the tank. THANKS FOR READING THIS FAR! Have a great day.

1644878975439651595436524462744.jpg

Thank you, lefty o., I have reduced the amount of light to about 50% from full strength. currently the tank sits in the kitchen. running a total of 6hrs. I've heard that "low light causes algae!"?  If I reduce the light to about 30%, should I increase the duration? Is it better to do small water changes daily, or larger ones a couple times a week?

i would love to give you a definitive answer, but it is a matter of experimentation with your tank, lighting, nutrients. make a change, and see how it works over a period of a few weeks. does it get better or worse, then if need be, make another adjustemnt.

I guess I'm so used to seeing change as soon as it is made. The more I listen to videos the more "I feel like!" (said Cory.) I need let things settle. Maybe that is letting the tank catch up to the change before changing something else!?! THANKS

@FSH ithis is the hard part making a change then waiting to see your results and then making your next move. Usually it’s too much or not enough as you’re finding out. 

The Amazonia buried in your substrate and your substrate system may be an issue. It has a very high cation exchange and therefore may be pulling a lot of the nutrients into the soil. Might be where those nitrates are going within 2 days. With your cap those nutrients will be stored/trapped in the substrate. That’s the kind of substrate that you’d need to be very heavily planted into hoping those rooted plants could pull all the juice out otherwise our old friend algae can settle in and pig out on the buffet. 

Personally I think your solution is get a ton of stems of plants that are fast growing and can utilize this huge reservoir of nutrients to starve the algae. Then you can slowly ramp up your lights again to meet the plants needs. Otherwise all that $$$ you spent on the Amazonia is being wasted. 

Examples dwarf sagitaria, ludwigia, rotala, bacopa, cabomba, hydrocotyle japan, pearl weed, hygrophila, hornwort. 

Have fun or hopefully you will be again soon!

• Like 1