12" shrimp cube

CT_

On 2/18/2022 at 12:26 PM, CT_ said:

why not both!

Indeed! That is tops. Hah! I only have one fish adornment in the master bathroom. It came with the house. A single tile in the shower! I plan to attempt to save it when we gut the bathroom. It's an interesting tile; it appears that it was added as an afterthought. It must have been special to the original owner. It appears that it broke when they tried to cut the hole for the shower.

20220218_123735.jpg.5e0b22e2052c317e925432eec393a955.jpg

We don't use this shower anymore, that's why it's dusty and aged. The contractor that painted the house to help the sale price used the wrong paint in there. The valve for the shower is broken, and the mortar bed for the shower pan is shot, it was installed in 1965. So the only thing I do in here is pour water down the drain to keep the trap filled. Once we finish up some other projects around the house this bathroom is getting an overhaul. Down to the studs on this project.

• Like 2

been a weekish.  still have nitrite.  I've been doing occasional 15-20% water changes to try to get the nitrate down too, presumably from the root tabs.  crypt parva is kinda melty no growth yet, but the ones in my other tank is doing great so I expect them to bounce back.  I adding something that was just labeled "stem plant" from my LFS.  it looks a lot like the rotalla that Crash_2011 pictured above.  I haven't seen the male and I've only ever seen two of three females together so there's between 2 and 4 still alive.  I guess the good news is the 2 or 3 females I do see are of awesome quality.  Once Nitrite hits 0 I'll pick up some friends.

Here's a fun photo of someone lurking in the shadows

PXL_20220224_071504317.jpg.08d0e7ced763d295b0b16f9cd9fa0ddd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 2/24/2022 at 7:02 AM, Minanora said:

Hooray! That stem plant is definitely a type of rotala. Looks like rotala rotundandofulia. But I can't see the tops.

Here's the row i planted.  I cut them short because the rest looked pretty rough

PXL_20220224_203904703.jpg.49cf87f8838ee1c0da3b948ed44e30f8.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I love rotalas... I want to build a scape with mostly rotala varieties. They're so beautiful. The texture they have is so lovely.

Those are most likely Rotala Rotundifolia. We'll have to see how they do as they establish. They could be Rotala Bangladesh, but my money is still on Rotala Rotundifolia. I fixed my spelling on my last post. ha, oopsie.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 1:57 PM, Minanora said:

I love rotalas... I want to build a scape with mostly rotala varieties. They're so beautiful. The texture they have is so lovely.

Those are most likely Rotala Rotundifolia. We'll have to see how they do as they establish. They could be Rotala Bangladesh, but my money is still on Rotala Rotundifolia. I fixed my spelling on my last post. ha, oopsie.

Thanks!  I feel like "rotundifolia" is an ironic species name for something with not-round leaves. 

I'll post again when it establishes (hopefully sooner than later!).  I'm trying out Flourish advance in this tank.  one week in I see nothing but melting, but we'll see how it goes.  I have no control, but if all the plants die I probably won't use it again ;).  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nitrites started to fall around the beginning of the month and was 0 yesterday.  I never saw ammonia, but I have been feeding the tank 1 crushed food pellet a day (plenty for a few shrimp I think).  I haven't seen the male for quite some time so I assume he's gone.  In any case I bought some more shrimp to bolster the numbers and get a male from another hobbyist.  They look really good and I'm sure will get this tank going.

I also just missed out on watching a molt.  oh well.  there will be more chances since this tank is next to my desk.

• Like 2

Another small update.  I acclimated the new shrimp really slowly and I haven't seen any molts so I assume they weren't too stressed.

This morning I took a look and I saw 3-4 shrimp zipping everywhere.  they all looked like males to me so I assume a female just molted and I may get a berried female this time.  fingers crossed.  it would be great if they're comfortable enough to breed this fast.

• 3 weeks later...

there's at least 4 berried now.  and I don't see the one above berried (the other 4 have more eggs).  could be she's hatched them out by now.  I've been feeding some bacter ae daily to hopefully get enough bio film going for the babies.  I may sprinkle in some crushed flake too just incase.  Here's a photo of some of the newer berried ones hanging out.

PXL_20220327_054434603_MP.jpg.b9c8f5cefa0037a1a73ce65e830ab00a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

wellp.  the new anubias I got for the tank rotted.  I hear this happens.  Fortunately, I scored that huge chunk of buce so I but about 10% of it to work.  I'm loving how the buce placement worked out.  if you look carefully you can see a tiny bit of a small leaf variety in the back too that I got from my local club.

I still need to work out some kind of background too. 

PXL_20220401_065517777.jpg.6afa93a54dffe1ca989f6cf5f854ba13.jpg

• Like 3

BABIES!  It's funny how one day they're not there and then the next day they're everywhere.  These guys are about 2-3mm now and can walk around and swim some so they've probably been there for a few days at least.

The photos don't look great, i'm really pushing my phone camera with these tiny guys, but it's still fun to share!

PXL_20220406_023140635_MP.jpg.c8668f0363f1821b1397209a3fadaae4.jpgPXL_20220406_024115427_MP.jpg.94bfaf3f97e15f2eed62df5a4be6fc08.jpgPXL_20220406_024634767_MP.jpg.046d794c52f38af31e474135f7e0587b.jpg

• Love 3